Bass bridge 20mm spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass bridge 20mm spacing

I am working on an ibanez sr400 bass guitar, trying to find a replacement bridge. I bought it real cheap missing one saddle, and the back of the bridge is bending up a bit . I have considered replacing just the missing saddle to get it playable, but everything I have found so far is for 19mm string spacing and these are 20mm spacing so the saddle isn't quite right for this bridge. I really just want to replace the bridge, but am having trouble locating anything with 20mm spacing that doesn't cost more than I paid for the whole guitar, as everything is 19. Does anyone think I would run into any weird playability issues by using a bridge with 19mm spacing?

I think you'll be fine. At most the E and G strings would be about 1mm further in from the edge of the fingerboard at the last fret. Depending on what sort of notches are in the saddles of the new bridge, you may be able to file them over slightly, on the larger strings at least. Most likely though it will be fine as is. Generally bass strings are far enough away from the pickups that polepiece spacing won't be an issue. I'd say just go for it.

Andy

Comment

I figured worst case scenario I could install a new nut also and file it to the spacing of something that uses a 19mm bridge to get the geometry right if it doesn't work quite right. This nut needs to be replaced in the future anyway.

Comment

FWIW: There are several Ibanez bass bridges on eBay. You might be able to find a direct replacement at a reasonable price. That said, I agree that 19mm spacing shouldn't be an issue.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

That's a good idea, I never thought to look on ebay. No need to worry about the nut spacing; go ahead and replace it if it's worn out or cracked, but the existing spacing will work fine. The string spacing on the nut depends upon the width of the neck at the nut and is independent of the bridge, so no complex geometry to be concerned with. As an example; think of a P-Bass- 1 11/16" nut vs. Jazz Bass- 1 1/2" nut. Same bridge on both. As long as you get your intonation and string heights set right, all will be well.

Good luck,

Andy

Comment

I agree with Andy. No problem putting on a Fender spaced bridge (19mm) Leaving the stock nut, unless it has issues. Once you set it up it should be fine.

On a side note, a while ago I was doing some measurements on a Lakland J bass and was surprised to discover the bridge spacing was 20mm (2.375" E center to G center). The bridge looked like a Music Man clone. I just did a quick look around and found a Music Man replacement bridge with 20mm saddles.

https://www.wdmusic.com/musicman_style_bass_bridge.html

I haven't had the chance to measure an actual Music Man bass, so don't know their spec. This replacement bridge indicates that there are at least some with 20mm spacing.

Bob

Comment

Honestly... a lot of bridges have "sloop" between the saddles. There isn't a huge difference between a 20mm and assembly when you compare individual saddles. If it's a cheap beater I would just replace the saddle. As long as you can get the string height, intonation, and it doesn't buzz you will be fine. If the bridge base is pulling up you can always drill a couple of holes and add 2 more new chrome screws. No one will know the difference from stock.

Comment

I ended up finding a set of saddles on eBay for 6 bucks that were 19mm spacing, as you said there is a little space between them, but they work perfectly. Having the g string functional and intonated is awful nice now, haha. Now to find the proper volume pot for this thing.

Comment

Working...
                X