Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbsailor View Post
    BlackAngusYoung,

To easily ground the strings go to the Stewart McDonald web site and obtain a PlateMate. This is a brass plaste with holes spaced to match the bridge pin spacing. Measure your pin spacing and obtain the correct version. Before you install, solder a flexible stranded wire (about 1 foot) to the metal plate mate and connect the other end to the output jack ground connection or metal braid of the pickup lead. This will ground your strings as the ball ends of the string will rest in the notch being grounded to prevent the ball end of the string from chewing up the wood under the bridge.

This is an undocumented use for the Platemate and works very well when using magnetic pickups on acoustic guitars.

Joseph Rogowski
    And that isn't a shock hazzard or anything, right? I mean, my body would be a part of the guitars electronics in a way. Sounds kinda dangerous but it's basically the same on my Strat [copy] isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronsonic View Post
      All that awesomeness and it sounds like a Gorilla amp.
      I had a really nice Gorilla bass amp once. It sounded good with guitar too.. and was loud for a little sucker. It was actually my girlfriend's bass amp, but I used to borrow it for rehearsals when I didn't want to lug my GK 800RB.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Basically the same. Yes. Learn to tap microphones on stage with the back of your hand after set up and before stepping up to sing.
        My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Homemade PlateMate

Originally posted by bbsailor View Post
          BlackAngusYoung,

To easily ground the strings go to the Stewart McDonald web site and obtain a PlateMate. This is a brass plaste with holes spaced to match the bridge pin spacing. Measure your pin spacing and obtain the correct version. Before you install, solder a flexible stranded wire (about 1 foot) to the metal plate mate and connect the other end to the output jack ground connection or metal braid of the pickup lead. This will ground your strings as the ball ends of the string will rest in the notch being grounded to prevent the ball end of the string from chewing up the wood under the bridge.

This is an undocumented use for the Platemate and works very well when using magnetic pickups on acoustic guitars.

Joseph Rogowski
          I made my own out of something metal I found in my secondhand shop. I ran the ground wire like you said and it works perfectly. Thanks again, Joseph, you really helped me out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronsonic View Post
            Learn to tap microphones on stage with the back of your hand after set up and before stepping up to sing.
            Better yet, get a neon bulb circuit tester. Touch one probe to your strings and the other to the mic. If it lights up you have a ground problem.

I once read over 80 volts between a mic and the strings. I wouldn't even want to put the back of my hand on that.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X