Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar input jack issue

Hello,

I am having an issue with the input jack of my Strandberg Boden guitar. The signal is getting cut off when the input jack is pushed or touch in a specific direction. I have attached a video link.

https://youtu.be/2wRY77QAXVY

I took it to Guitar Center and the tech told me that it might be an issue with the barrel input jack but he is not entirely sure. Also they did not have a short threaded barrel input jack. So before I buy one and pay GC to switch the jack with a new one, I would like to know if that is the case. Would someone please take a look. I have already sent Strandberg an email and waiting for their reply.

Thank you so much and regards.

Considering that you're applying pressure at the cable jack barrel I'd say the problem is almost surely the guitar input jack or it's solder connections. But do try it with another instrument cable to be sure that isn't the problem.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Out of all the guitars I get with socket problems, barrel types are the most common ones to fail. If the solder joints, wiring and your lead are OK then one of the contacts inside the socket has either relaxed or has suffered damage or distortion. If you shine a light into the socket you should be able to see the contacts. With a short socket it's sometimes possible to use a dental probe or similar to bend the contacts and re-form them to improve the connection. I can't tell if your guitar has active electronics but you should clearly be able to see the ground connection that connects with the sleeve of your plug and the 'hot' connection that connects to the tip. You may also have a ring connection that's used to switch on any active electronics.

Comment

On my guitars, I sometimes find that the jack has rotated, usually as a result of me trying to tighten it without proper tools when I notice it is loose. Sometimes the rotation can cause strain on the wiring (resulting in a failed or failing connection), or allow the jack to come in contact with the side of the pocket, distorting the jack contacts in a way that leads to trouble. Short of a component failure, I seem to struggle with the jacks the most.

As Mick says, if the contacts have been weakened or bent (and not completely failed), it is possible to rejuvenate them with some TLC.
        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

In all seriousness...

You may have a compatibility issue with your jack & plug. Since so much is made in metic now, there have been reports of very slight fit problems. Parys are spec'd for 1/4", but that gets translated to metric and then rounded up or down according to manufacturer. So stuff can be off just tiny fractions of an inch but still lead to trouble. Eliminate all tje other possibilities but if none of that works, pull the jack & check the fit & get nice-quality plug & jack...

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I've noticed the sizing issue with some plugs. Interestingly, newer Switchcraft barrel sockets seem to be the least tolerant of slightly undersized plugs. I had a period where this was bugging me - a customer complained of socket problems with a quality bass fitted with a Switchcraft socket. I tried it with my leads and didn't have a problem so handed it back. He then replaced his leads and still had problems, so I changed the socket for a brand new Switchcraft and got a call back a few days later with the same problem. I ask him to bring his leads and find that the plugs are fractionally under-size. So I replace the socket with a cheap 'Rean' brand Chinese component to see how it goes. It's fixed and three years later still no problems.

Comment

I chop off plugs that don't say "Switchcraft" right after I gank the jacks that aren't Switchcraft.

I habe had lots of trouble with Neutrik connectors of various sorts; that doesn't even bring up the cheapest-of-the-cheap plugs & jacks that come on so many guitar-store-freebie-cables, patch cords, etc. I tell people all the time, go out & buy a QUALITY cable (which does NOT mean Monster or whatever pimp-daddy-bling-bling flavor-of-the-month brand) & I'll put Switchcraft plugs on it for you. I mean, I get anice long cable, chop it up into patch lengths, new plugs... Expensive? Yeah. Reliable? Yeah. So I think I get my money's worth.

Jusrin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
              X