Please help cant get clean tone with active EMG’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help cant get clean tone with active EMG’s

Hi everyone, im new here, may be you can help me with a strange issue i get with active pickups, on a clean channel, no matter how far i set the pickup height, or turn down the guitar volume i cant have a clean sound on any amp, with a passive pickup no problem, it sounds like a kinda fart distortion briefly every time i play a note or chord, its EMG 57/66 and EMG Het Set all solderless, Sounds like too much output from the pickups, is there something to reduce pickup output level? Cant believe i cant get a clean sound out of these, there hot but... should be able to play clean, i did something stupid, i copper taped the cavity of the pickups, could it do that? New batteries and wiring is good, plugged direcly in amps, only bridge pickups do that on 2 guitars and a passive on another guitar dont do that... any idea?

These things do push out a massive signal, maybe 10x that of a passive pickup so making it very easy to overdrive the amplifiers. Backing the volume right down will put it into the same range as a passive. If you can't get a clean tone even with the guitar volume turned to almost zero then the active pickups have to be faulty.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      These things do push out a massive signal, maybe 10x that of a passive pickup so making it very easy to overdrive the amplifiers. Backing the volume right down will put it into the same range as a passive. If you can't get a clean tone even with the guitar volume turned to almost zero then the active pickups have to be faulty.
      Thanks, i got the sound right with guitar volume at about 50% so this is normal? I never used the guitar volume lol

Comment

Don't these actives use a 25k or 50k pot?

Comment

I believe 25K is recommended.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes 25k

Comment

The '57 spec sheet gives 3v output (string) 4.5v output (strum). No wonder it breaks up.

Comment

Its all EMG active pickups with the solderless kits they came with, no hum, no buzz no noise, wiring is perfect, no problem with the neck pickups ajusted to normal height, too close to the strings they have the same problem, if i lower the bridge pickups untill i can have a clean undistorted sound they are too far and the tone sucks

Comment

Sorry my first language isn’t english, do you mean the 57 bridge pickup have a output so high that i cant play cean with it?

Comment

Oh ok... i knew they where high output pickups but never found the output voltage, guess the Het Set is even more lol, its like 57/66 on steroids

Comment

Is there a way to lower the pickup output?

Comment

they usually distort when battery is low

Comment

Originally posted by alexradium View Post
                          they usually distort when battery is low
                          That was my first thought, but they do say they installed fresh batteries.

I wonder if a comparison has been made between playing the active pickups turned down to not distort and playing a guitar with passive pickups?
                          Try this: With all amp settings the same, is the EMG-equipped guitar still very loud compared to the other, or can you turn the passive guitar up louder? This will help determine if the distortion is generated in the guitar or the amp.
                          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Yes the passive EMG H4 bridge pickup on another guitar do not distort, its about 90% as loud as the actives,

Comment

With such a high output for those pickups I would expect the results posted. The up side is that THE PICKUPS ARE ACTIVE!!! The preamp should have a low impedance output so there should be almost no difference in tone with the volume pot dialed down. That said, you're just going to have to turn your volume pot down when you want to get clean tones with those pickups. (<period)
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X