Laminate trimmer for doing binding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminate trimmer for doing binding?

I've been wanting to get into installing binding on solid-bodies and always thought that I'd need to use some fancy router setup. Over the weekend, I was in a tool place and encountered a laminate trimmer for the first time. This appears to be something like a router but set up to be something you can use with one hand and run along the edge of surfaces. Has anyone here ever used such a device, and would it be suitable for cutting a shallow channel around the perimeter of a guitar body for installing plastic binding?

that ought to work well for what your looking for.

usually not as powerful as a full sized router, but for the amt of wood and the hardness you will be working with, it shouldnt be a problem.

Comment

I use laminate trimmers for all kinds of things... binding, routing for pickups, cutting out pickguards, etc. We have about 5 at the shop.

They even made jigs like this for doing acoustic guitars

TrueChannel Binding Routing Jig

Laminate Trimmer Router Base (SPPMRL)
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Mark,

The laminate trimmer is an excellent tool. Like the other posters have said, it is a smaller, less powerful one handed router. I have a Makita and a Porter Cable 310, which is like a mini version of their ubiquitous 690 router.

One accessory you might consider purchasing if you decide to get a laminate trimmer is one of these:

http://www.patwarner.com/pc310_special.html

The offset sub base allows you to put pressure on the work surface to keep the trimmer from tipping and ruining your work.

I've ordered several items from Pat, and he is a joy to deal with. Fast shipping. I have no affiliation with him other than being a very satisfied customer.

chuck

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
        I've been wanting to get into installing binding on solid-bodies and always thought that I'd need to use some fancy router setup. Over the weekend, I was in a tool place and encountered a laminate trimmer for the first time. This appears to be something like a router but set up to be something you can use with one hand and run along the edge of surfaces. Has anyone here ever used such a device, and would it be suitable for cutting a shallow channel around the perimeter of a guitar body for installing plastic binding?

Comment

Well, I guess I'm picking one up this weekend.

The lucite guide/base also looks like a good idea, though obviously it would be of limited use when dealing with arched/carved tops/backs or any other irregular shapes. There is an industrial plastics place 2 blocks from work that carries materials suitable for fabricating such guides. I think I may stroll over there once I have the trimmer.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Comment

For the curved tops you use the sled thing like Stew-mac has. That way you are always parallel to the side.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X