Ibanez AZ Tuning Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez AZ Tuning Issues

I have an Ibanez AZ 2402 prestige that has tuning issues. I did buy the guitar slightly used. It is about 2 months old. The last owner had it strung with 11s. So I restrung with 9s. When you bend up, they go flat. When you dive bomb the tremolo, they go sharp. The g string is the worst. I've owned so many Ibanez guitars over the years and none of them had any tuning issues. The AZ model is the first one. I checked everything from the saddles, to the nut to make sure there was nothing binding up somewhere. No burrs, no ridges. Someone told me that it's binding at the nut. Maybe the nut's not slotted properly? I don't have experience with cutting or slotting nuts and I don't have the proper tools. Even a local tech that's my go-to guy has even refused to look at it. I'm $1600 in the hole with this one. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by goldtop5 View Post
    Even a local tech that's my go-to guy has even refused to look at it.
    What was the local tech's excuse?
    Any decent guitar tech should be able to file, hone and lubricate (or if necessary replace) a nut so that it doesn't bind.

Can you post a close-up picture of the g-string tuner post that shows how you install your strings?

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

What was the local tech's excuse?
      Any decent guitar tech should be able to file, hone and lubricate (or if necessary replace) a nut so that it doesn't bind.

Can you post a close-up picture of the g-string tuner post that shows how you install your strings?

Not sure why. I've been using this guy for years. Maybe he's had bad experience with these guitars?
      Anyways, here's a close-up of the g string post. These are locking tuners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 2.jpg
Views:	1900
Size:	975.6 KB
ID:	907572

Comment

Usually a way to test if the nut is binding is tune it up, bend the string hard, it should go flat, then push down on the string between the nut and the tuning machine. If the string goes back up to pitch you know the nut is binding. It may not the the *best* way to do it but I usually just fold some 500 grit sandpaper and run that in the nut slots to open them up. Double it up twice for the thicker strings.

Comment

The nut could be a problem. You could try to just put some lube on it before you go filing it down. See if that helps. Also, this might be an oversight, but are there problems with the tuners. If it's not staying in tune you bend the strings or use the bar, something is moving and not going back to where it was.

One thing you could test is just to block the trem, so it can't move. Then bend the strings. If it still goes out of tune, you can rule out the strings and the trem system.
          "I don't care about your guitar instructing, real music comes from the heart." -Dimebag

Comment

This guitar is practically new. In fact, I've heard of others having this same issue. I've replaced the tuners with grover locking tuners. I've replaced the tremolo springs with floyd rose brand tremolo springs. But it still goes out of tune. I took it to a different tech from the one I normally go to. He filed the nut and it seemed to have made a slight improvement. It still goes out of tune almost a half step flat when pressing down on the tremolo bar. But way better than what it was before. Yank up on the tremolo bar a few times and it goes back in tune.

I've compared it side by side with my fender strat that doesn't go out of tune. On the Fender, I've noticed the angle of the strings coming through the bridge plate, then over the saddles has a wider angle and the ibanez has a sharper, almost 90 degree, angle. My only guess is that it's binding at the saddles.

So I've decided to do more research before throwing the towel in and selling the guitar. I found that Wilkinson developed locking saddles that replace your individual existing saddles. They have an allen screw on the top of each saddle that locks the strings down. Same concept as a locking floyd. They weren't available in the U.S. I had to order them overseas from the UK. When they arrived, I installed them. All of a sudden...BAM!!! Tuning issue is resolved! I really beat that tremolo bar up and down, bend like crazy, and it returns back to the zero point each time!

Despite all the money spent and the B.S. I've gone through, this guitar has now become my favorite! But would I go out and buy another one? HELL NO!!!

I can now move on with the rest of my life and sleep better knowing that the book on this nightmare is finally closed!

Thank you guys for your hints and advice!

Comment

That's great! I'm glad you got it figured out. What a headache.
              "I don't care about your guitar instructing, real music comes from the heart." -Dimebag

Comment

Originally posted by musicmansteve View Post
                That's great! I'm glad you got it figured out. What a headache.
                I can only hope that Ibanez addresses this issue and make improvements to these guitars. The AZ prestige models aren't cheap!

Comment

Working...
                X