Neck Pocket angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Pocket angle

On the guitar i have design i have a neck pocket angle of 2 degree angle. Is this a sufficent angle for a tune o matic style bridge?

Probably, but it also depends on the height of the fingerboard, etc.

What you should do is make a full size drawing. It can be just lines. Draw out the horizontal plane of the body, and position the bridge where it will be, and the height of the bridge.

Ten you can draw out your neck angle and draw a line to simulate the strings above the neck and see how they line up with the bridge.

That's really the safest way to do it.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The length of the neck will also make a big difference. If you have a 22-fret neck that joins the body at the 18th fret, then you don't have a heckuva lot of space between the neck joint and where the bridge needs to be, and you might not meet the required "elevation" to fit your chosen bridge in there.

For a sense of the problem, take a look at an SG and a Rickenbacker. Both of these instruments have their bridges positioned much further forward on the body than a lot of other instruments.

Comment

I Agree with David. I always do a full scale sketch...

There is a diagram in the Melvin Hiscock book - How to build an electric guitar - that helps you calculate neck angle. It is dependent on 3 factors: 1. fretboard thickness and fret height 2. At what point the neck intersects the body 3. bridge height off the face of the body

Comment

Working...
        X