Guitar sounds too loud after strings change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar sounds too loud after strings change

Hi, I have problem with my Squier bullet strat. Before strings change it was ok, but now is much louder than before, and I can hear little distorted sound on clean settings. Strings are the same gauge like before, but different manufacturer.
    Any solution?

Turn the volume down maybe.
    The cause is the material used and the ferrus quantity. As pickups use the magnetic movement to produce the electrical impulses that are amplified into sound, if a string material with more iron in the allow is used, there will be more magnetic movement and that means greater amounts of electrical impulse, which means more volume.
    Support for Fender, Laney, Marshall, Mesa, VOX and many more. https://jonsnell.co.uk
    If you can't fix it, I probably can.

Comment

Any solution?
      Lower PU height.

Which string brand/set was the louder one?
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-30-2020, 12:55 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post

Lower PU height.

Which string brand/set was the louder one?
        Exactly.

This is fairly common when changing strings, particularly if your strings get corroded. Might be a good opportunity to check the setup -
        straighten the neck, ; spring tension if there’s a tremolo; adjust the string saddle height and intonation on the bridge; then adjust your pickup height.

I like to do another fine tuning of the PU height a few days after changing the string (and after some playing time) to allow them to stretch out and set.
        That’s just a personal preference, i’m pretty fortunate in that my fingers don’t sweat at all, and my strings can last a year of playing pretty regularly (as long as I’m not doing outdoor shows or wicked packed clubs - my fingers might not sweat but everything else does)
        Some dudes strings start to corrode after one session.
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

my strings can last a year of playing pretty regularly
          Well if you do a lot of bends and use heavy finger vibrato like me, the strings (mainly the wound ones) get grooved beneath. This causes them to sound dull and to poorly intonate after a month or so.
          Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-30-2020, 11:29 PM.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I have been tinkering with guitars for a lot of years! One thing that eludes many players is string stretch over a long time of playing the same strings. Then when strings are changed it is no longer a long time but immediately.

Joseph J. Rogowski

Comment

Well if you do a lot of bends and use heavy finger vibrato like me, the strings (mainly the wound ones) get grooved beneath. This causes them to sound dull and to poorly intonate after a month or so.

does it go a little something like this?

Anyone ever seen Mike Bloomfield and Helmholtz in the same room at the same time??
              Last edited by SoulFetish; 12-01-2020, 08:38 PM.
              If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post

Anyone ever seen Mike Bloomfield and Helmholtz in the same room at the same time??
                What, me?? and Mike Bloomfied?

Would love to watch the video, but the message says "not available", oh well.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

What, me?? and Mike Bloomfied?

Would love to watch the video, but the message says "not available", oh well.
                  I think I fixed it. Can you see it now?

Comment

Seems he needed new strings every other song.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by SoulFetish View Post
                      does it go a little something like this?

Bloomie better cut those string ends before he pokes somebody in the eye - maybe himself. And that vibrato? Geeze Louise ... too much coffee maybe? Ah, but I luv it...

What we would still like to know, what were the strings on our OP's guitar, before & after. Yes there's quite a bit of variation in guitar output depending on the strings. Stainless steel, I wouldn't expect to be "loud." Some SS varieties don't have much magnetic interaction. If that's what you had, and then put on regular steel strings, sure the volume's bound to increase.
                      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                      X