Replating a bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replating a bridge

Has anyone tried to replate a corroded bridge? I have a MusicMan bass bridge that needs some serious attention. Do you recommend a company?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8538.JPG Views:	0 Size:	723.5 KB ID:	921859

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8539.JPG Views:	0 Size:	638.1 KB ID:	921860
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8540.JPG Views:	0 Size:	704.5 KB ID:	921861

You probably can't re-plate it for the cost of replacing it, unless you have some "original part" fetish. Search eBay for "musicman bass bridge". There are lots of them.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

That part looks to be quite pitted so you need to pick a plater that does restorative plating. otherwise by the time the pits are removed the part will be too thin. It takes a lot of material removal to get a pitted surface good enough for plating and regular time-is-money commercial shops will just dress out the pits on an abrasive wheel and you'll be left with a shiny ornament. So It needs to be heavily copper plated first to fill in the pits and refinished back to the correct metal thickness before continuing with nickel and chrome.

Comment

I checked around and this vintage bridge is very hard to find. The last one sold for $350! So I am going to stick with my plan of having it replated.

Comment

I have a customer with the same bridge with same problem. He also wants to get it re-plated. I told him I have no idea who does that anymore.
          It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
            I have a customer with the same bridge with same problem. He also wants to get it re-plated. I told him I have no idea who does that anymore.
            You might try these places. They are in your neck of the woods.
            nosaj
            soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I had this bridge replated by Van Nuys Plating in California. Here are the results. The got the job done faster and cheaper than they quoted me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9521.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	925411
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X