Neck Angle help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Angle help please

Hi All, I have a 1980’s vantage 700vp electric guitar. It buzzes like crazy even after I adjusted the truss rod , saddles , etc. the neck angle seems off . It is a 1/4 inch higher at the nut than where it attaches to the body. So the headstock is angled away from me when playing. Is this amount of angle enough to cause this issue?

Thanks! Josh

What is the exact gap between strings and 12th fret?

This thread should contain useful info: https://music-electronics-forum.com/...-fender-poorly
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Hi and thanks for the reply. I had tried initially at 4/64 on the low E string .

Comment

10-46 strings .

Comment

Originally posted by jgold2021 View Post
          Hi and thanks for the reply. I had tried initially at 4/64 on the low E string .
          What is the neck relief?

If not clear, see the thread I linked.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Hi, at the 8th feet it was about .010 . Tried it higher and still buzzes. Even with the strings higher than my Taylor 312 acoustic at the 12th fret.

Comment

Hi, at the 8th feet it was about .010 . Tried it higher and still buzzes. Even with the strings higher than my Taylor 312 acoustic at the 12th fret.
              A relief of 0.01" is ok if it's roughly the same with all strings.
              Action of 4/64" at 12th fret is rather low. Do your bridge saddles allow to increase the action?
              What's the condiion of the frets (wear)?
              Do all frets and strings buzz?

BTW, I don't think your problem is the neck angle. An undesirable, negative neck angle would case high action.
              Last edited by Helmholtz; 01-16-2021, 10:31 PM.
              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Frets look fine. The action at the 12th fret on low e even at double that height and it still buzzes. The lower strings buzz more but they all buzz. Once I fret any string and play it anything more than a light touch and it buzzes. I tried diff reliefs and it still buzzes. That’s why I am thinking the neck angle is off. 6mm seems like a lot to be off ?

Comment

That’s why I am thinking the neck angle is off. 6mm seems like a lot to be off ?
                  Neck angle doesn't matter as long as the bridge saddles can be adjusted for good action.
                  Increasing relief above 0.01" at 8th fret is not desirable.

You didn't clarify if all frets buzz the same.
                  Frets looking fine doesn't mean they're level.

- Own Opinions Only -

Comment

It’s harder to tell on the higher stings . When playing bar chords it’s all pretty buzzy. And I don’t have to strum hard for it to buzz. I can check the frets with a straight edge. Not much wear at all on them. Starts really buzzing on all strings around the fourth fret and continues up to the 15 or 16th fret .

Comment

On the saddles I would say the top 3 strings were already about 3/4 the length of the screw to the top

Comment

Sounds like the neck bowed up below the 15~16th frets and the strings are now hitting one of the highest frets. Maybe stripped truss rod nut? It might be possible to fix that.

Comment

Working...
                        X