Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience using or installing a wilkinson tremelo on a strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience using or installing a wilkinson tremelo on a strat?

As I start to build the perfect strat in my mind, I've realized that nobody offers the compound radius I want and until I find out how to get it, I'm considering my options for what I want to do for the bridge.
    The Gotoh Wilkinson bridge looks nice, and I looking for some opinions on it. It's probably down to that or the modern strat tremelo.
    One question I have is; Is it easy to retrofit, or reasonable to retrofit it onto a strat routed for a vintage tremelo?
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

What exact vibrato model?
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
      What exact vibrato model?
      sorry, the VS100N.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wilkinson_vs100n_diagram.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	926105
      If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I have one of those in my drawers, but never used it. Didn't like the narrow string spacing and found that I like the feel and sound of vintage vibratos best.

So sorry, no real experience.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 03-11-2021, 03:46 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
          Didn't like the narrow string spacing and found that I like the feel and sound of vintage vibratos best.
          It is a bit narrower, and I wonder about the feel and comfort. Even though I do like a narrow width at the nut because I think it plays faster and is more efficient for picking.
          I'm hesitant to commit to something before playing it. I learned my lesson in the past when I ordered a custom neck from warmoth with a "V" profile, thinking I would like it.... I did not. It was terrible, and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Comment

It doesn't look like any routing would be required, but you would have to drill two large holes for the pivot post bushings. A more vintagey 6-screw mount would certainly be easier to install but plugging some screw holes and drilling new ones shouldn't be too much trouble. The spacing is quite narrow on that; it shows the saddles as only 10mm wide, but maybe they don't sit tight together. 10.8mm is a more typical spacing I think.

Comment

54mm so it is 10.8

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	25percent Scale Strat with Wilkinson Bridge.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	926151

The Neck, strings(standard 10's), frets, and bridge are draw to scale at 25%.
                I'm still looking for a more precise technical drawing of the body, pickups, and pickguard, but it's good enough to get a sense how the strings are separated, along with how the saddles and bridge sit in the guitar.

Comment

Working...
                X