Help finding a pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding a pot

Ive been searching for an hour....its not even on Alphas site.

pot has no number on it.

Alpha 16mm
    long style Click image for larger version

Name:	p1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	927268 shaft
    long bushing = 15mm
    overall shaft length is about 25mm
    solid end , not knurled

B500K

out of a Shecter omen 4 bass with pcb mount controls

Shecter is of no help ...

So what is wrong with it? Need a different value swap out the innards.

nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

I find all sorts of long shaft pots, but all with a split/spline shaft. Couldn't you still fit the knob on that type of shaft?
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

the mystery continues... Click image for larger version

Name:	20210323_171617.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	927285 i sent pics to Schecter of the pot and the Pcb . They said thats not even our pcb !! Its not labeled at all. I pulled 1 pickup out and its not labeled at all.....(actives)
        anyone have any ideas ??

The pot is broken--just spins 360

yes i could use a knurled version but it needs to be pc pin , long , and 16mm body . No way to fit anything else .

Comment

I think if i can find a 16mm long pot . like Les Paul length, i can dremel out the pcb and hard wire... thats the latest plan...

Comment

2hrs of research.............super frustrated...maybe someone can help.............i need a 16mm body pot.....500k,,,,to fit a les paul thick body......meaning.. the threaded bushing needs to be about 15mm long .....................................this is insane.....cant find one .

Comment

I would inquire with mojotone to see the dimensions of this pot. Of course it has a knurled shaft but maybe it could work.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--MJT211...xoC51MQAvD_BwE
              When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Apparently the mojotone site says it’s 24mm shaft. The thread part looks pretty long.

https://www.mojotone.com/guitar-part...-Potentiometer

Comment

As I suspected....looking at the pot and the PCB from which you removed the broken pot, that one without the cover shows the shaft is swagged on, which prevents removal from the long bushing. Most of the Asian sourced pots swage the shaft after assembling the rotor and resistance wafer, so it prevents being able to swap out the wafer for another. That Mojo pot looks like it would fit. You could carefully cut off the solder lug portions, and cut the ends diagonally into the open solder lug area, preserving the max terminal lengths. Bend the terminals so they match the PCB pattern. The body and terminals look like they would be a reasonable fit. I've had to do that sort of thing, as well as others here on the forum. Pots and switches are the biggest problem in getting direct replacement, as those parts are selected from the manufacturer's basic design options, to precisely fit the product design criteria. Those are, of course, ordered in production quantities, and, once the manufacturer has discontinued the products and those parts specific to the model, assuming that pot or switch hasn't also been allocated to other current products, the parts are no longer ordered. You'll NEVER find them available in general distribution, as they were product-specific design options.
                  Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

those are 24mm ,,, i need 16mm dia.

Comment

Originally posted by Valvehead View Post
                      those are 24mm ,,, i need 16mm dia.
                      Damn blasted websites. The first thing you are looking at is shaft length and then diameter etc... why can't they just put up those measurements? Oh well, good luck anyhow.

Comment

Another question... When you reference a 16mm diameter that confuses me. That would be a huge diameter for the shaft. Are you sure you have that measurement of the diameter correct? This is a good point of reference to look at measurements and why I ask this question.

https://www.cedist.com/products/pote...aft-34-bushing

https://www.cedist.com/products/pote...uctive-polymer

Edit: To me that threaded bushing looks like 3/8 inch or 9.525mm. No way the diameter is 16mm

Comment

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                          To me that threaded bushing looks like 3/8 inch or 9.525mm. No way the diameter is 16mm
                          The 16 or 24mm size refers to the diameter of the body (casing).

Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Well then this one has a body diameter of 15.875mm.

https://www.cedist.com/products/pote...uctive-polymer
                            Last edited by DrGonz78; 03-24-2021, 08:34 PM.

Comment

From reverb...

https://reverb.com/item/17784250-bou...pot-long-shaft

Comment

Working...
                              X