Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One volume control, two pickups - one at 250K, one at 500K.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One volume control, two pickups - one at 250K, one at 500K.

I bought one of those cheap Chinese Teles, and I've been fixing it up. Among other things, I put new pickups in it, got a blank control plate and arranged the volume forward, the tone rearward and a Gibson-style toggle in between. All good so far.

But, as often happens, I wasn't thrilled with the neck pickup (too quiet, too dark). So I got the idea to change the volume pot to a 500K to get a brighter, louder neck pickup sound. I thought I'd use a 250K resistor to bring the bridge pickup back to 250K. But now I find myself unable to decide where to locate the resistor.

Should I put it between the bridge pickup hot lead and the switch, or should I attach both the pickup lead and the resistor to the switch with the other end of the resistor going to ground? Both seem to work (though I haven't got it strung up for a proper listening test yet). I imagine that if I send the resistor to ground it will affect both pickups when the switch is in the middle position (both pickups on), which may or may not be desirable.

If the pot is 500K, add in parallel with the pot (between the hot and gnd pin) a resistor 470k and you will get a value of 250k.
    Parallel Resistor Calculator
    It's All Over Now

Comment

But that would give me 250K on both pickups. I'm trying to get 250K on the bridge and 500K on the neck.

Comment

I understand you want the neck PU to see a 500K load and the bridge PU to see a 250K load.
        Means you should wire a 470k resistor across the bridge PU (i.e. between bridge PU hot and ground).

PU load resistance has some influence on treble response but little effect regarding PU "loudness".

Try to adjust PU-string distance for better balance.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Yes, *apparent* loudness. The treble being less bright *perceived* as a drop in volume.

So putting a 500K (470K) across the bridge pickup would put it in parallel with the volume control, thereby yielding 250K? Is that what's going on?

Thanks, Helmholtz. I'll try what you prescribe.

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Howdy
            But that would give me 250K on both pickups. I'm trying to get 250K on the bridge and 500K on the neck.
            If the pot is 500k add in parallel with the bridge PU a resistor 470k and you will get a value pot of 250k when switch is in bridge position.
            When switch is in neck position the value of the pot remains 500k.
            When switch is in the bridge + neck position value pot is 250k.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	WDUSS3L1101__24611.1481758669.GIF
Views:	301
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	938438
            It's All Over Now

Comment

That looks like a wiener . . . , uh, I mean winner! That's a winner!

Thanks, vintagekiki.

Comment

Originally posted by vintagekiki View Post
                If the pot is 500k add in parallel with the bridge PU a resistor 470k and you will get a value pot of 250k when switch is in bridge position.
                When switch is in neck position the value of the pot remains 500k.
                When switch is in the bridge + neck position value pot is 250k.

Name:	WDUSS3L1101__24611.1481758669.GIF
Views:	301
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	938438

Hey, wait a minute. Wouldn't that diagram result in 250K on the neck pickup (and neck/middle) and 500K on the bridge? Shouldn't that 500K be attached to the bridge pickup?

Comment

Here's a few more wiring ideas.
                  I have mine wired so that the tone pot is only on the bridge pickup not B+M or N as on the first schematic below.
                  The second schematic is 250k on bridge with 500k on B+N and N
                  The third schematic is 250k on bridge with tone control. 500k on B+N and N without tone control.

Name:	Tele 1.png
Views:	277
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	938537

Name:	Tele 2.png
Views:	264
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	938538

Name:	Tele 3.png
Views:	267
ID:	938539

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Howdy
                    Hey, wait a minute. Wouldn't that diagram result in 250K on the neck pickup (and neck/middle) and 500K on the bridge? Shouldn't that 500K be attached to the bridge pickup?
                    Here it is corrected. Just move the 470k to the appropriate switch contact.

Name:	image_55791.gif
Views:	266
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	938544
                    It's All Over Now

Comment

Okay, great. I've never really understood the strat/tele switch very well, so I've been pulling out my hair trying to make the previous diagram make sense . . . to no avail. Thanks for the correction. I'll get it wired up sometime this week - I've got several other changes I'm doing so it'll take a bit of time - and I'll report on how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                        Here's a few more wiring ideas.
                        I have mine wired so that the tone pot is only on the bridge pickup not B+M or N as on the first schematic below.
                        The second schematic is 250k on bridge with 500k on B+N and N
                        The third schematic is 250k on bridge with tone control. 500k on B+N and N without tone control.

Name:	Tele 1.png
Views:	277
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	938537

Name:	Tele 2.png
Views:	264
ID:	938538

Name:	Tele 3.png
Views:	267
ID:	938539
                        Hey! Great minds think alike! I have the tone control hooked up only to the bridge pickup too. I think it'll get some actual use there, but it's not needed on the neck pickup.

Comment

https://music-electronics-forum.com/forum/schematic-requests/40591-links-to-guitar-bass-schematics?t=39569
                          Links to Guitar & Bass schematics

http://www.ak-line.com/medium/F-Telecaster-Schaltungen.pdf
                          Schaltungen der / für die mit Schaltdiagrammen TELECASTER v2.71
                          It's All Over Now

Comment

Name:	image_55932.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	939179 Well, I got 'er done. And while it's early yet, I like it. I do notice a nice sparkle on the neck pickup that wasn't there before.

Taking a cue from German guitarist (and manufacturer of the bluguitar pedal-format amp), Thomas Blug, I installed a 250 pico treble bypass cap. I'm a big fan of Blug. I highly recommend his best of cd. One thing I noticed - too late - is that his tone is often quite dark. And the 250 pico cap is too dark for me. (After decades with a 1000 pico, which was way too bright. I didn't really realize it until I change that to a 1200 pico, which damn near took my head off). So I think I'm gonna try a 500 pico next, along with a resistor, probably ~150K. I'm not loving the taper with no resistor.

Question though:

Why did you guys recommend sending a resistor to ground to retain the 250K on the bridge pickup (after changing the volume pot to a 500K) instead of putting a resistor in series with the bridge pickup? It definitely changes the sound when putting it in series (and not sending it to ground). I'm trying to learn what the difference would be between the two methods (if any).

Thomas Blug Beauty - YouTube
                            Last edited by Boy Howdy; 08-15-2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Howdy View Post

Why did you guys recommend sending a resistor to ground to retain the 250K on the bridge pickup (after changing the volume pot to a 500K) instead of putting a resistor in series with the bridge pickup? It definitely changes the sound when putting it in series (and not sending it to ground). I'm trying to learn what the difference would be between the two methods (if any).
                              A large value resistor in series with a pickup forms a low pass filter together with the cable capacitance and thus lowers treble and volume.
                              - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                              X