Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with 4 way switching scheme

Hi, all.

Amplifiers are my forte, but one of my customers needs help with wiring his guitar, so I offered. Here's what he wants:

4 way switch with 4 conductor bridge and single coil neck

position 1: Bridge full and neck
    position 2: Bridge rear coil and neck
    Position 3: bridge front coil and neck
    position 4: neck

He has already installed a "gilmour switch" which will cut the neck off when opened.

Is his idea possible with a standard 4 way? I have no idea how to wire this.
    ~F
    "Ruining good moments since 1975"

Your problem is somewhat simplified because Neck is always ON, so just hardwire it .

Yu only need to worry about Bridge pickup. A SP4T switch as you have can easily choose between Bridge full and its center tap (rear coil?) because one ended is always ground, but to select "the other" coil which is floating (not grounded) complicates things.

I would check that option out, much compliction for almost NO change in gain (hint: they are about the same place )

Explain that to Customer.

IF your switch is DP4T then you can select "other" coil Hot with one wafer, and ground center tap with the other; not sure you have one though.

Post switch details.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thank you JM. Talked to customer. He’s fine with deleting the multi-coil option on the bridge bucker. Looks like I can just keep the neck hardwired the spst. He will keep the standard 4way switch and is thinking:

1. bridge
      2. bridge split and neck
      3. Full bridge and neck
      4. Neck

I’ll pitch this idea to him. Very particular cat.
      ~F

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 way switching.GIF
Views:	275
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	940139
        It's All Over Now

Comment

VK that’s just outstanding. I’ll take a look at it with the switch and see if how it goes. Thank you for helping a stranger.
          ~F

Comment

Schematic in post #4 use Fender 4-position Telecaster Pickup Selector Switch

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/0992250000--fender-4-position-telecaster-pickup-selector-switch

Name:	0992250000-large.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	940297 Click image for larger version

Name:	750-0992250000_detail5.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	940298
            It's All Over Now

Comment

Yessir. Just having a bit of trouble transposing the schematic onto the physical switch. Is the switch symbol in your schematic indicating the lugs on both sides of the switch wafer vertically oriented, as opposed to side-by-side? If so it would make sense that the neck’s hot lead would go straight to the output lug.
              ~F

Comment

Schematic in post #4 use Fender 4-position Telecaster Pickup Selector Switch, which does not mutually short-circuit contacts (works 1, 2, 3, 4), unlike from Fender 5-position Stratocaster Pickup Selector Switch, which mutually short-circuits contacts (works 1, 1+2, 2, 2+3, 3)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_56104.GIF Views:	0 Size:	115.8 KB ID:	940304
                4-position Pickup Selector Switch

1)

Name:	image_56078.gif
Views:	240
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	940309 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_56105.GIF
Views:	231
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	940310
                Last edited by vintagekiki; 08-30-2021, 08:39 PM.
                It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                X