Will this work? HSS 3 way switch, 2 volume, 1 tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work? HSS 3 way switch, 2 volume, 1 tone

Hey folks! I'm a novice when it comes to guitar wiring and don't really understand how it works. I'm hoping an expert can jump in here and tell me if this will actually work as it should?

I've wired it up already, and plugged it in outside of the guitar and I'm getting all combinations working. I'm just not sure if I have some useless stuff going on in here.

Bridge pickup has a single wire setup, with the outer shielding being ground and is grounded to all 3 pots.

Bridge switch controls bridge pickup, also assigned to top volume, so it can be turned down/off
    Middle switch controls neck pickup
    Neck switch activates humbucker and neck pickup
    Middle pickup is controlled via middle volume

This allows for all combinations of pickups to be used with just the 3 switches.

Last the tone will control overall tone (not sure if it works with this setup)

Can anyone with an innate knowledge of guitar wiring chime in and tell me if this is a feasible setup?

Click image for larger version

Name:	HSS 3 way 2 volume 1 tone.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	942476

Thanks!
    Attached Files

That looks OK and gives the advantage of having the middle pickup on its own, compared with the usual Strat 3-way plus middle blend. The .01uf cap may be on the low side for effective tone control with the single coils.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the response! Very much appreciated. Any suggestions for a different capacitor?

Comment

You could take a 15n or 22n cap for Tone, also 50s wiring for some interesting sounds in your HSS setup is worth a try.

Comment

It's worthwhile experimenting with tone cap values, depending on what your preference is and what effects and amp you're using. There's a little bit of a compromise due to mixing a humbucker and single coils and having a master tone control, and to some degree the overall tone depends on the value of your pots - especially the tone pot. I use a pair of clip leads to audition different cap values.

Comment

Working...
          X