Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever experimented with mixing string composition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever experimented with mixing string composition?

I was thinking about pickups today - especially those whose magnets had unusual configurations. I knew that, in most instances, pickups whose magnets were not all identical for every string were like that to compensate for what was the typical strings of the era. In many instances, they presumed a wound G/3rd, which eventually became unwound for more contemporary players.

But it dawned on me that more recently, manufacturers have been exploring other materials, and not simply the gauge, or how they are wound. For instance, I have a set of Ernie Ball cobalt strings (still in the package and not yet installed) that are supposed to provide greater output. So I'm curious. Have any of you experimented with using one type of string, with this or that chemical composition, for these strings (E, B, etc.) and something different for "those other" strings, to achieve some sort of volume or tonal goal? Again, not talking about anything like skinny top, heavy bottom, or anything like that. I mean deliberately using mixed sets that have a different chemical composition for different strings.

In particular, I'm wondering about whether mixing string composition might optimize string output for things like staggered height single coils.

I think plain and core strings are all Steel with Ni coating. Maybe Stainless sets have Stainless plains and cores. Even so, not all Steel is created equal, and the Ni coating may vary from wherever it's done. I've experimented with all the various wrap alloys offered by Sfarzo over the years, and some other brands b4 going back to the mid-'80s. The company founder claims Sfarzo Steel is from Sweden. The plain strings feel more compliant and sound "sweeter" than the same gauge of a few other strings I've compared with, so there's also if the Steel is annealed and/or cryo-treated to consider. Annealing can make Steel more complaint, while cryo-treating can either make it more brittle & rough feeling or tougher & smoother feeling depending on the process.

I initially liked the Sfarzo micro-coated Alloy5109 strings, which have a FeNiCo alloy wrap, and I still use them for more mellow sound on a few guitars because I bought a bunch of sets. I moved on to the uncoated V-Strings (FeNi? alloy wrap) because I prefer the more balanced tone. They feel smooth and last very long too, but have a bit more high-end than the Alloy5109. I recently bought a few packs of the newest "Touchstones". They are a SLOW Cryo-treated (FeNi? alloy wrap) that are supposed to be stronger and likely a bit brighter yet than the V-Strings, without being brittle or harsh sounding. They do feel even smoother than the V-strings -- the polar opposite of the old cryo-treated DM Blue Steels. The wrap to core ratio has a lot to do with how complaint and natural-sounding the wrapped string harmonics are. I heard a bass demo of a bunch of strings, and the EB Colbolts had a similar quality to the Alloy5109. They were brighter than the pure Ni with a sweeter high end than the Ni-coated Steel or Stainless sets. They basically sounded more flexible with a "relaxed" upper-mid quality than Steel. I'm assuming the Touchstones will be a bit fuller in the upper-mids without the colder/harsher sound of brittle Steel, Stainless or the DM Blue Steels. Granted, these are all fine points that make less difference than other factors, but it's fun to experiment if you find the results you like for the money. To me, it's worth the extra few bucks if I prefer the playing experience, and the strings last longer b4 dulling or breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
      In particular, I'm wondering about whether mixing string composition might optimize string output for things like staggered height single coils.
      I would think for pickups where the height cannot be adjusted, controlling the string gauge or composition could be a useful way to dial-in balance. Haven't played with the idea of composition myself, though.
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
      X