This is making me feel stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is making me feel stupid

I have an Emerson Custom pre-wired kit for a Gibson SG to install. It is a high quality kit. However, something has me stumped. The hot wire from the center lug of the pickup selector switch goes to the output jack. But it goes to both the hot and ground tabs. So in other words the output jack tabs are shorted together. How can this work? I don't think it is a mistake, because the paperwork that came with it shows it this way as well.

It should be noted that it all mounts to a nonconductive plastic pick guard, but I don't see how that makes a difference.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Looks to me like that is shielded cable. Somehow they got it all coated with shrink so it doesn't look that way?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Can't see it from the picture, but I guess it's a coaxial (i.e. 2-conductor shlelded) cable?
      In this case the outer conductor would be connected to circuit ground and jack ground.
      Anyway the jack needs a gound connection.

Edit: Was too slow.

To see if it works, connect to amp and lightly tap the selected PU with a screwdriver.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 08-18-2022, 09:11 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I connected it up, and it works. It is shielded, and the way everything is covered is deceiving.

Comment

Good to know.
          Someone once said the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. Continue to trust your gut and follow the evidence.
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Please post the schematic which accompanies the kit.

Pictures not always are enough ... specially here.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Randall View Post
              I connected it up, and it works. It is shielded, and the way everything is covered is deceiving.
              I suspected we were looking at a cleverly dressed shielded cable. Glad it worked out to be nothing much.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

This is what ohm meters are for.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Photos and ohms meters? Really?

Comment

I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X