Aluminium sliding pickup guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium sliding pickup guitar?

Could be a one-off, but can anyone identify the guitar in the clip? - best shot is at 2:04. Looks like a cross between a mini flying V, a Veleno, and a Doug Wilkes 'The Answer' sliding pickup guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xAw7nnP0G8

I vote for "one-off." I think "Cold Love" was released in the late '70's? I did a search on "Bram Tchaikovsky" and "guitars" and came up blank.

That sliding pickup reminds me of the 1980's "Westone Rail" bass guitars. It has a sliding pickup, mounted on two rails. I guess the pickup leads were tucked in one of the rails. So the idea of a sliding pickup must have been out there and maybe used by others? The Westone had a short lived lifespan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1985 Westone Rail.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	969923
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

An acquaintance (Doug Wilkes) patented a sliding pickup guitar in the 70s called 'The Answer' The one Dave Gilmour bought sold for $93,750 in 2019. It's a really good system that works well and I'm surprised there aren't more guitars that use sliding pickups.

Comment

Wasn’t Dougie 70 a couple of days ago?
        The Answer http://wilkesguitars.co.uk/instruments/the-answer/
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

I didn't know - I've lost touch with a lot of people lately. Haven't seen him for a long time, though.

Comment

This is the first slider I'm aware of. First made in 1972. There was another guitar, Japanese I think, that had a sliding pickup. And there was the Gibson Graber bass, of course (1973).

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	404.1 KB ID:	970182​​
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Boy Howdy; 10-05-2022, 05:23 PM.

Comment

That's very interesting - very similar to the Wilkes system and much earlier. Here's the Wilkes patent. I'm certain in my own mind that I saw a much earlier guitar of his than the patent filing date - maybe I'm wrong. I had an idea it was late 70s or maybe very early 80s. The reference to other relevant patents turns up some very interesting ideas - particularly Pat. #2964985 - very advanced thinking.

Wilkes Patent.pdf
              Attached Files

Comment

Reading the claims, the Wilkes patent only covers 2 or more independently sliding PU coils.
                So won't apply to a single sliding PU.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I understood that from his description - I was thinking how similar the plastic sliding rails idea was, but the Wilkes' setup is much more musically useful, if a little complicated to recall exactly where the pickups were positioned for a certain sound. Nowadays you could use stepper motors and a processor to position the pickups and save the configuration. Just like memory seat adjustments on cars, or motorised faders.

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Howdy View Post
                    This is the first slider I'm aware of. First made in 1972. There was another guitar, Japanese I think, that had a sliding pickup. And there was the Gibson Graber bass, of course (1973).​​
                    I image searched "sliding pickup" "guitar" and found this 1959 Framus Hollywood.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1959framus.png Views:	2 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	970356
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Presumably the button slides the pickup. If it does, it appears to be quite performance-oriented.

Comment

Working...
                      X