Pickup cover removal/installation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup cover removal/installation questions

Wanting to remove some regular chrome pickup covers from a set of pickups and replace them with no-hole covers (it's for an L-6S copy). Never done this and I'm having trouble removing the original covers. I tried it with a regular iron, couldn't get the solder hot enough. Tried it with a soldering iron and hot air and wax started running out. Got an 100+ watt massive old iron and am still not getting the solder to soften, but wax looks like it is bubbling out some. What's the trick? Should I just cut the solder joint to remove the cover?

Second question: for putting no-hole pickups on do I put some sort of material between the poles and the covers to prevent metal/metal contact?

Thanks in advance,
    Greg

Try a utility knife to cut it away. As to it not melting, you aren't hot enough or wattage isn't high enough. If you are melting wax you are holding the iron on too long, get in get out. Maybe solder wick.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
      .. get in get out..
      That was my intention but these PU seemed to have other ideas. I tried an xacto knife to cut through, which was kind of working, but the method that eventually worked well was to take a small diagnonal wire cutter and cut through the giant solder blob as much as possible, then take a bare utility knife blade and get it started in the gap between the cover and the PU and then use a small hammer to drive it down through the solder. Safety glasses required.

OK, now the other question, put something between the pole piece screw heads and the no-hole covers? Masking tape? Wax?

Comment

I've seen tape, wax and silicone being used. I would use wax.
        It is essential to prevent the cover from vibrating against the poles to avoid high frequency squeal.

But first measure DCR to see if the PU is still good after the torture.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Would you leave the screw poles above flush or should they be screwed down level?

Comment

I'd screw them level.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
              I'd screw them level.
              Funny, I hadn't even thought about the fact that I could do that. Good idea guys.

Comment

Working...
              X