Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience installing any ILITCH ELECTRONICS dummy coil products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience installing any ILITCH ELECTRONICS dummy coil products?

I've decided that I really can't live with the excessive noise from single coil pickups in either my strat or tele. I just read uneumann​'s article on winding and installing a dummy coil for hum cancelation. I'm convinced that this is a project worth doing and I'm prepared to wind a custom coil(s) for my tele.
    My recent searches have turned up some commercially available products. This might be the way to go, if it makes sense and people have had success using them. The one that interests me the most is ILITCH ELECTRONICS "PGNCS T​" which looks to be a coil wound on a Tele pickgaurd. Has anyone had any success or experience using their products? What are your thoughts on this?

Here is their website:
    https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/hu...systems/pgncs/
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

No own experience with the Ilitch system yet, but I think it's the best passive hum-cancelling method for single coils around.
    Principle is simple, yet effective: A large area dummy coil using only 200 to 400 turns.
    As induced hum voltage is proportional to loop area, far less turns are needed than with a conventional PU shaped dummy coil.
    Coil inductance is proportional to loop area times turns number squared (!).
    So the low turns number results in relatively low inductance, meaning less interference with the original PU sound.

Same principle is used by Suhr guitars.
    Last edited by Helmholtz; 04-19-2023, 01:57 PM.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I've had only one encounter with the Ilitch/Suhr system, some 15 years back at a guitar trade show in Montreal. The guitar with the Ilitch backplate installed was leaning against an amp head, on the power transformer side, and it was dead quiet.

I've also installed a few dummy coils. Dummy coils can work quite well. As Helmhotz notes,one of the advantages of the backplate/under-pickguard approach is that fewer turns are required to achieve the requisite hum-sensitivity.

Equally important is their sort of omni-sensitivity. One needs to think of coils as being like radio antennae. In a humbucker pickup, the coils are side-by-side, such that they are always equally sensing any nearby EMI. Because they are opposite phase, the equally-sensed EMI cancels out. A single dummy coil NOT immediately adjacent to the pickup may not sense any EMI in an identical manner, especially as one moves around while playing. Moreover, where does one stick a dummy coil to provide equal hum-cancelling for all 3 pickups on a Strat? By having the coil wound around the perimeter of the backplate over the vibrato springs it effectively "surrounds" all 3 pickups, such that antiphase EMI is not really sensed more for one pickup than for others. I imagine the same is somewhat, though not identically, true for the Telecaster version.

Comment

Working...
      X