Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz diagnosis

Hi

I have a Tanglewood semi acoustic here that I've had for many years. It's been in storage a fair while and after a clean and a restring it has a buzzing problem I've never encountered before.

It's only happening on the A string and only really on frets 6,7, 8, and 9. It sounded like resonance setting off a rattle to me a bit but I've spent ages sitting plucking the same note and holding down various parts and I've not found anything.

Here's a link to a sound file of the problem.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_CI...ew?usp=sharing

I'm ok with soldering guitar electrics but not so good at diagnosing issues so if anyone can tell me what might be causing this buzz I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Doesn't really appear like a electrical problem, no speakers here at work but if it's only a single few frets, maybe truss rod adjustment or frets popping up?

Comment

To eliminate the possibility of raised frets you ideally need a 'fret rocker' which is just a length of straight edge that can fully bridge three frets. I use a cheap stainless ruler cut into pieces of various length to cater for the different fret spacings. You bridge the frets in the affected area starting either side of where the problem lies and moving along one fret at a time to check if there's any rocking, which indicates that the middle of the three frets is high. With an acoustic guitar the action is usually high enough to tolerate a degree of uneven fret height, but it depends on how your guitar is already set up.

Also, gently slap the back of the neck in the middle with the palm of your hand to listen for any knock or rattle from a truss rod that may be vibrating against the slot.

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
        Doesn't really appear like a electrical problem, no speakers here at work but if it's only a single few frets, maybe truss rod adjustment or frets popping up?
        I think there may be speakers at work here. Or at least an amplifier or interface of some kind. This is a semi acoustic and CB indicates the probable need to solder. Which there would be no reason to if the guitar weren't plugged into something.

And I think it could be an electrical problem. The frequency of the static/buzz is at a consistent level and cuts off sharp. Rather than seeming specifically sympathetic to the guitar level. I'm not saying it couldn't still turn out to be an acoustic issue rather than an electrical one. But the problem description and clip don't rule out an electrical problem as far as I can tell.

CB, have you tried the guitar with another amplifier to verify that it's the guitar and not the amp? FWIW it probably wouldn't be effectively diagnostic to try a different guitar with the same amp because these things can be more specific than the variability between two guitars may demonstrate. So please try the offending guitar with another amp and report.
        Last edited by Chuck H; 04-22-2023, 12:16 PM.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X