More snake oil (potentiometers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More snake oil (potentiometers)

I just get so tired of this. People that Know better selling BS to people that don't. It's lies and it's illegal but because our genre is mired in lore and misunderstood by anyone that would enforce honesty these crimes go unpunished. Ahg... Ok. Rant over. Here's what set me off,..

A pickup making company (manufacturer?) partnered with Bourns to create "Vintage Inspired" pots. They presented the issue as 'new pots bad' - 'old pots good' - 'our pots are like the old pots'. Ok, fine. But they also imply that their pots SOUND better. Which is not true for reasons we here understand, but the average guitar player doesn't. And the kicker for me was at the end of their pitch when they say this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	bbs2.png Views:	0 Size:	125.9 KB ID:	992155

The implication being that these pots don't suffer the same loss of treble in a guitar circuit when turned down. These guys make pickups and Bourns makes these pots. People that would obviously know that what is implied above is not the truth. They further imply on the same page that if your guitar doesn't sound good it might be your pots. Resitance being equal, and typically of a ubiquitous value and a manufacturers tolerance, there's NOTHING to be done with a pot that can change the tone of a guitar. (<period) I know we see this sort of thing all the time and I really should be "over it" but I'm not. The day is coming when I'll be entering the arena with these and other charlatans and I don't look forward to the troubles that trusted liars in the game could cause for me. As well as wondering if an honest sales approach can work in such a smarmy landscape.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Instead of being outraged, I'm smug because I'm holding onto my cashmoney.
    --
    I build and repair guitar amps
    http://amps.monkeymatic.com

Comment

wild, they have "zero warranty once touched by a soldering iron" but I guess if you need the perfect taper your OK with that. I've never touched any knob away from my amp in many years of playing but thats just me

apropo of nothing here is an ancient snake oil call out, still a classic!
      Last edited by tedmich; 01-13-2024, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
        wild, they have "zero warranty once touched by a soldering iron"
        Well that's convenient for somebody. Interestingly they don't offer a long bushing pot. Considering their demographic this is a glaring omission.

FWIW I think Bourns has adopted this taper for their "gtr" pots. They DO offer long shafts AND a warranty.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
          apropo of nothing here is an ancient snake oil call out, still a classic!
          Favorite lines:

"This ain't The Gear page"

"We don't buy snake oil here... Unless it's NOS tubes."

Comment

Deception is a problem. Serpent sold Adam and Eve a lie. Lies are one thing. Some people lie but don't know it. Deception is lying and knowing it, and convincing yourself that it's ok because of your own personal justification. I say, Love God with all your heart. Then you will be able to love your neighbor. Because without knowing God will reward you for your honesty. It is very hard not to eventually become what you despise in others. Because we get desperate and justify our lying. God first. Then be honest to us. If you get a reputation of honest business and great customer service. I believe you should be successful in your new business. With your expertise and knowledge. Add repair, modification advice with your business. But I'm not anyone. This is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by WhydidIbuythisthing? View Post
              Deception is a problem. Serpent sold Adam and Eve a lie. Lies are one thing. Some people lie but don't know it. Deception is lying and knowing it, and convincing yourself that it's ok because of your own personal justification. I say, Love God with all your heart. Then you will be able to love your neighbor. Because without knowing God will reward you for your honesty. It is very hard not to eventually become what you despise in others. Because we get desperate and justify our lying. God first. Then be honest to us. If you get a reputation of honest business and great customer service. I believe you should be successful in your new business. With your expertise and knowledge. Add repair, modification advice with your business. But I'm not anyone. This is just my opinion.
              Thank you for the vote of confidence

Comment

Originally posted by WhydidIbuythisthing? View Post
                ...It is very hard not to eventually become what you despise in others
                I hate it when other people become what they despise in others
                If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Fixed that for you.

"This ain't The Gear polishers"

"We don't buy snake oil here"

Comment

Working...
                  X