What cap value....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cap value....

.....would i want to put in series with my LP's neck pickup to start rolling off low just after 100Hz?

I have to ask why. If it's muddy lower the low side.

https://www.digikey.com/en/resources...gh-pass-filter

1600pf into 1 meg will start at 99hz.

EDIT: don't know why i figured 1meg, so 3200pf into 500k is right as said below.
    Last edited by mozz; 04-02-2024, 11:11 AM.

Comment

mud, and no, p/u height, pole height, amp settings, nothing works.I've done it all. This works but i just wanna cut it past 100hz where lows are of zero value and only add mud.

Comment

3n2F with a 500k volume pot
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
          3n2F with a 500k volume pot
          Thanks. Thats .032 MF? Will .033 (common value) make any notible difference?

Comment

Nope. 3n2 equates to 3200p. 3300p is the closest "standard value". Try 2200p and see how it goes. if it cuts too much lows try the 3300p. If that doesn't cut enough you'll need to combine caps in series or parallel to get a value in between.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Nope. 3n2 equates to 3200p. 3300p is the closest "standard value". Try 2200p and see how it goes. if it cuts too much lows try the 3300p. If that doesn't cut enough you'll need to combine caps in series or parallel to get a value in between.
              Ahh. ok. I have a 2200pf so i'll try it. Seems awfull tho.

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post

Ahh. ok. I have a 2200pf so i'll try it. Seems awfull tho.
                I know indicating values in pF "seems" awful, but it's all about impedances. The value is also dependent on series resistance so things change if you use the guitars volume control. So be prepared for that to happen. lowering gain with the guitars volume will actually lower the frequency knee of the cap. This might actually be beneficial since lower gain tones allow for more low end without mud. Hope springs eternal

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

It's a high pass filter essentially consisting of the series cap and the following AC resistance load.
                  This load results from paralleling the resistances of Vol. pot, Tone pot and amp input impedance.
                  For a typical LP this results in about 200k total.
                  A 6.8nF cap would give a corner frequency of 117Hz.

The load as seen from the cap won't change much (20% max.) with vol. settings - except if 50s wiring is used.
                  - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Helmholtz View Post
                    It's a high pass filter essentially consisting of the series cap and the following AC resistance load.
                    This load results from paralleling the resistances of Vol. pot, Tone pot and amp input impedance.
                    For a typical LP this results in about 200k total.
                    A 6.8nF cap would give a corner frequency of 117Hz.

The load as seen from the cap won't change much (20% max.) with vol. settings - except if 50s wiring is used.
                    6.8n sounds more like what I would expect actually. I do trust your calculation above but I'm off to run some CAD simulations

Comment

Ok... In the simulation there's a slope all the way to 950Hz. So the visible "knee" does seem to be as Helmholtz says but is actually down about 4.5dB at 100Hz. For -3dB at 100Hz my simulation shows a 8200p (8.2n) cap would be ideal. At any rate I think a 6.8 should be fine for what daz wants.

Comment

Simple RC filters never have a sharp corner. At half the "corner" frequency, so around 50Hz there will still be a signal level of 50% (-6dB).
                        8.2nF would give 97Hz with my simple model.
                        Last edited by Helmholtz; 04-02-2024, 03:59 PM.
                        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Does the cable capacitance come in to play, or only when volume is full?

Comment

Originally posted by mozz View Post
                            Does the cable capacitance come in to play, or only when volume is full?
                            Cable capacitance affects high frequencies only.
                            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Right, wasn't thinking, it's in parallel.
                              Moveable, adjustable bandpass filter would be the ticket. Not so easily made though.
                              Last edited by mozz; 04-02-2024, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X