No announcement yet.

'68 SG mods - a crime or a real need ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I bought some of these guitars I wanted when they were still cheap.
    I have distinct memories of saying "Why the hell would I pay $600.00 for a Les Paul that's over 20 years old?"

That was in '84, and the $600.00 Les Paul was a REAL '59 BURST!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an idiot!

Comment

Well Jag, you' re in good company, no one of us back then could have imagined the guitar/amp craze that would have taken place only a few years after.....I let some good vintage instruments go as well simply because they were NOT vintage in that moment.....geez, how I wish I had a crystal ball!

Ok, I'm gonna stop weeping and give y' all an update: I have lifted the pickguard and the pickups definitely seem to be T-tops - they have a "Patent" sticker ( Pat. N. 2737842 ); the pickguard has an ink marking between the two pickups which reads "Inspected By 15 8424" ( I believe 15 is the inspector identifying code number, the other number could be the inspection number, it would be good if someone who knows better than me would know how to decipher this ).

Oh, I was forgetting-The guitar S/N is in the 800000s, with ( quite obviously ) no volute and no "Made in USA"

Sayonara

Bob
      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        Right after HS my girlfriend at the time had a nice SG Custom with the 3 humbuckers.
        Since I couln't find a SG Standard like Bob owns now I once bought a '69 SG Custom as a substitute. Unfortunately it had a clear finish (light brown wood) that had been worn out and you could feel every grain of the wood quite well. It felt like it had no finish at all. Eventually I sold it and haven't regretted it yet.

Jag
        Right now that we are talking about lost treasures. I used to own a 1971 ES335 (cherry red, what else) with an original Bigsby trem in absolutely mint condition (I mean mint, it had not even the lightest scratch). I gave it away when the bass player of my (then) band needed a down payment for an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet. The guitar brought barely more than half of the price for the cabinet. That disposal is what I do regret and probably always will (sniff).

Matt

Comment

Hey Bob,

how about THE SG?
          I'm quite curious what your beauty is doin' right now. Have your worked on her?

cheers

Matt

Comment

Hi Matt!
            well, to be honest I'm enjoying so much playing her I am postponing any activity....as soon as my fingers will be bleeding I'll stop playing and start doing something ( of course with the greatest respect for her personality ).

Cheers

Bob
            Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Working...
            X