No announcement yet.

Grindcore anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't wind pickups (into building amps), but I do play grindcore from time to time (Napalm Death, Carcass etc...) and the best pickup for this style that I've tried is the EMG81. Most grindcore bands use this pickup too.

I'm assuming you're not setup to custom-wind actives (is anyone?), so from a player perspective I'd be wanting...

* something HOT in the 15k+ range
    * ceramic magnet for ultra-tight bottom end
    * the midrange voicing slanted towards the hi-mids so the pickup has plenty 'cut' (too much low-mids and it'll sound muddy with masses of distortion and fast riffs)
    * enough top end to cut through without the plain strings sounding thin, but not too dark otherwise those fast widdly-widdly lead breaks blur into a noise - need good note seperation.

typically, I'd say that the pickup needs to be HOT and BRIGHT with good chunk in the bass end - you can compensate for pretty much anything else with the amp and a graphic EQ (does anyone playing metal NOT use a GEQ?).

Also, allen-bolt polepieces on both coils look badass and also help with the bass 'chunk'.

Hope that helps some
    Last edited by HTH; 11-26-2008, 02:25 PM. Reason: typos
    HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Thanks HTH, that helps quite a lot actually. Your description was bang on as to the sonic character this guy is looking for: high-mid boost to cut through, lots of definition etc. Oddly, I'm pretty sure he metioned that he wasn't a fan of EMGs I'll have to ask him more specifics why. Maybe he's looking for something different. I know he's got a lot of high end and custom gear so he definately takes his tone seriously. I'll post an update when I get something wound for him. I'm going to try some HF awg43 with a ceramic mag. Maybe use two slug bobbins for more inductance.

Originally posted by HTH View Post
      I don't wind pickups (into building amps), but I do play grindcore from time to time (Napalm Death, Carcass etc...) and the best pickup for this style that I've tried is the EMG81. Most grindcore bands use this pickup too.

I'm assuming you're not setup to custom-wind actives (is anyone?), so from a player perspective I'd be wanting...

* something HOT in the 15k+ range
      * ceramic magnet for ultra-tight bottom end
      * the midrange voicing slanted towards the hi-mids so the pickup has plenty 'cut' (too much low-mids and it'll sound muddy with masses of distortion and fast riffs)
      * enough top end to cut through without the plain strings sounding thin, but not too dark otherwise those fast widdly-widdly lead breaks blur into a noise - need good note seperation.

typically, I'd say that the pickup needs to be HOT and BRIGHT with good chunk in the bass end - you can compensate for pretty much anything else with the amp and a graphic EQ (does anyone playing metal NOT use a GEQ?).

Also, allen-bolt polepieces on both coils look badass and also help with the bass 'chunk'.

Hope that helps some

Comment

no problems, glad to help. hope you get something sorted that the guy likes.

I have a (humbucker) pickup here that originally had a ceramic magnet, then I tried an A5 in it (improvement), but the pickup still sounded thin and weak. Its 11k and was would by a small/startup company so I'd rather not say who wound it (I'm sure they make other great pickups - just not this one, ha ha).

I'd like to have this one rewound into a mega-bucker type affair. 20k+ with a ceramic magnet and enough grunt to overdrive a Twin Reverb at any volume (ha ha).

If anyone fancies a stab at it, let me know. Can't pay much (I'm skint), but if the cost is reasoanble I'd be willing to throw some $$$ at having it rewound (seems a waste to have the pickup here gathering dust).
        HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

They were probably trying to keep the 11K pickup bright sounding, as things can get muddy fast. I wound a 24K pickup with an alnico, and it sounds great distorted, but too dark clean. I'm going to replace the alnico with a ceramic when I get around to it.

Also I didn't have any 44 AWG at the time so I used 45, which is why the DC resistance is so high. I was trying to copy a Duncan JB.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            They were probably trying to keep the 11K pickup bright sounding, as things can get muddy fast. I wound a 24K pickup with an alnico, and it sounds great distorted, but too dark clean. I'm going to replace the alnico with a ceramic when I get around to it.

Also I didn't have any 44 AWG at the time so I used 45, which is why the DC resistance is so high. I was trying to copy a Duncan JB.
            all I know is the pickup sounded bright with no bass whatever the setting and the mids were non-existent.

for a total novice (i.e. me), how difficult would it be to wind a REALLY hot humbucker for the br00talz ???
            HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

all I know is the pickup sounded bright with no bass whatever the setting and the mids were non-existent.

for a total novice (i.e. me), how difficult would it be to wind a REALLY hot humbucker for the br00talz ???
              That sounds like the two coils are wired in phase, which puts them out of phase. Does it have 4 conductor wiring? If so, try flipping one of the coils around.

To wind a really hot humbucker you need to use thinner wire and a strong magnet to keep it from getting too muddy.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                That sounds like the two coils are wired in phase, which puts them out of phase. Does it have 4 conductor wiring? If so, try flipping one of the coils around.

To wind a really hot humbucker you need to use thinner wire and a strong magnet to keep it from getting too muddy.
                yep, 4-conductor wiring. do you mean, physically turn one of the bobbins around by dismantling the pickup?

to be honest, I want something hotter than this now anyway so I'm not arsed about trying to 'fix' it in the current state. would rather strip it down and rewind the entire thing. I know a guy (luthier) that has a pickup winder from Stu Mac - he's had the thing for years and keeps threatening to get it up and running but is always too busy with bread and butter jobs.

Think I'll see if he'll let me use the winder and see if I can do something with this pickup, hmm... (I feel a new thread coming on... n00b winding tips, ha ha).
                HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

yep, 4-conductor wiring. do you mean, physically turn one of the bobbins around by dismantling the pickup?

to be honest, I want something hotter than this now anyway so I'm not arsed about trying to 'fix' it in the current state. would rather strip it down and rewind the entire thing. I know a guy (luthier) that has a pickup winder from Stu Mac - he's had the thing for years and keeps threatening to get it up and running but is always too busy with bread and butter jobs.

Think I'll see if he'll let me use the winder and see if I can do something with this pickup, hmm... (I feel a new thread coming on... n00b winding tips, ha ha).
                  he means flipping the wires, so on one coil the hot is swapped with the ground (or hot of the other wire) wire. just a job for the soldering iron. you should be plenty set up if you do amps.

Comment

Originally posted by black_labb View Post
                    he means flipping the wires, so on one coil the hot is swapped with the ground (or hot of the other wire) wire. just a job for the soldering iron. you should be plenty set up if you do amps.
                    yeah, piece of piss - I can do that. might as well have a go, why not eh.

been asking around and I've been advised to get some 45AWG wire to rewind this pickup to 10k on each coil.

any advice on winding the coils to get something usable? how tight does the wire need to be? also, how does tight versus slack windings affect the tone?

thanks, Ian
                    HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Working...
                    X