source for 45AWG in UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source for 45AWG in UK?

anyone know where I can get plain or coated 45AWG wire in the UK - this will be for my 1st humbucker (just want something loud and obnoxious).
    HTH - Heavier Than Hell

I wound a humbucker with 45. It sounds great distorted, but it's really dark sounding clean. Not exactly what I would call obnoxious.

I did use a big A5 magnet, but I think it really needs a ceramic. That might fix it. Otherwise I'm going to rewind it with 44.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Try Scientific Wire in London.
      sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        I wound a humbucker with 45. It sounds great distorted, but it's really dark sounding clean. Not exactly what I would call obnoxious.

I did use a big A5 magnet, but I think it really needs a ceramic. That might fix it. Otherwise I'm going to rewind it with 44.
        David, did you just fill the bobbins till they were full? - what DC resistence did it end up at?

I've got an AIV and a ceramic magnet to try but I'll probably go with ceramic first off as it's more likely to give me the tone I'm after with this puppy.

Spence, thanks for the wire source - I've already seen their website and the reels seem to big for what I want to wind a single humbucker. Surely I won't need 22km (400g reel) of 44AWG for two bobbins ???

Actually, how much 44AWG would I actually need?
        HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

No, they aren't full. I don't recall how many turns... I have notes somewhere on it. I also posted some audio clips here. I came up with a formula based on a Duncan JB, but I didn't have any 44 AWG at the time. The pickup is 19.25K.

Here was the thread Duncan JB
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by HTH View Post
            Surely I won't need 22km (400g reel) of 44AWG for two bobbins ???

Figure out the average circumference of each turn and multiply by the number of turns and number of bobbins. If you're using 44AWG and are new to winding, I'd allow for much wasted wire if you're not planning to repair breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by HTH View Post
              David, did you just fill the bobbins till they were full? - what DC resistence did it end up at?

I've got an AIV and a ceramic magnet to try but I'll probably go with ceramic first off as it's more likely to give me the tone I'm after with this puppy.

Spence, thanks for the wire source - I've already seen their website and the reels seem to big for what I want to wind a single humbucker. Surely I won't need 22km (400g reel) of 44AWG for two bobbins ???

They will sell it in small quantities like a little 500 gramme spool. It's never going to be cheap like that (probably about £15) but you can get two bucker bobbins out of that.
              sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Working...
              X