Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possum
    replied

yeah check it out and let me know if you find anything out. The stamping is a deep draw process, its not a simple one step slam and you're done kinda thing. I really like TV Jones' covers, may experiment with plating them myself, Caswell has an electroless plating kit for reasonable and want to try plating my slugs, so doing covers might be fun, except for the prep work...

Leave a comment:

• David King
    replied
    Possum,
    We got a really talented plater at Bliss plating but he's starting to charge an awful lot. I just had him do some aluminum knobs and it was $7.50 each. Probably more because it was aluminum but that puts your $7.50 cover in perspective.
    I should ask Alaskan copper and brass if they can get some german silver plate and a price per pound, that would be the first step. There's a big stamping company right down the street from me, McCoy stamping. There's a tool steel smelter across the river with bargain bins. It really shouldn't be hard to get this cover thing going in town. I'll have a Bridgeport/Moog CNC mill up and running by June if all goes as planned.

Leave a comment:

• Possum
    replied

I went to NAMM in the 80's, man, once was enough for a lifetime for me. Too big, too noisy, uh, I forgot the girls, hmmmmm.....

Leave a comment:

• soundmasterg
    replied
    Forgot about NAMM? Got to get out once in awhile Dave.

Greg

Leave a comment:

• greenfingers
    replied
    Originally posted by Possum View Post
    Well that wasn't any help :-) I think maybe I'll just start polishing raw covers.....

TV jones has a few of them. you could have better quality control over the finish if you plate then yourself, and get a thinner nickle plate finish if you wish which would be more vintage i guess.

Leave a comment:

• kevinT
    replied
    NAMM started Thursday and goes through the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Possum
    replied

Didn't know NAMM was going on, guess Pat is there....

Leave a comment:

• Possum
    replied

Well that wasn't any help :-) I think maybe I'll just start polishing raw covers.....

Leave a comment:

• Spence
    replied
    Originally posted by jonson View Post
    Lamb stock more like it.
    In the post Spence, day late but bloody wed early closing.
    Bloody post office.
    Tidy Brah!

Leave a comment:

• jonson
    replied
    die stock

Lamb stock more like it.
    In the post Spence, day late but bloody wed early closing.
    Bloody post office.

Leave a comment:

• Spence
    replied
    You're right. Not sure what the deal is with them anymore. They've never got anything in stock until I no longer need it. I think I have more of their stock than they do.
    Fortunately, I don't just buy from them and every time I make a new jig or mould to make my own parts I feel a sense of release. Humbucker covers may well be next on my list. Infact, I'm popping over to my local forge tomorrow so I'll see if they can forge some die stock for me.

Leave a comment:

• David Schwab
    replied
    Originally posted by J S Moore View Post
    I'll bet you Pat is at NAMM.
    That makes sense!

Originally posted by Spence View Post
    I'm a bit miffed with AllPrats at the moment. Their stuff is never consistent and I usually have to mill the covers to size......that's if they're not pre-dented. And don't start me off on their JB flatwork.......
    I haven't used any of their pickup parts, but some of their prices are ridiculous. For instance, they sell Hipshot parts for more than list price!

Leave a comment:

• Spence
    replied
    I'm a bit miffed with AllPrats at the moment. Their stuff is never consistent and I usually have to mill the covers to size......that's if they're not pre-dented. And don't start me off on their JB flatwork.......

Leave a comment:

• J S Moore
    replied
    I'll bet you Pat is at NAMM.

Leave a comment:

• guitician
    replied
    Make them yourself?

Hey, just a thought, if your making the pickups, why not make the covers too?
    Find a source for sheet nickel, have a die made, and then get a hydraulic press. It may be a high initial investment, but it would get you cheap covers over time. Or, you could go the Corporate way...and have them made overseas???

Leave a comment:

Working...
X