Mini Humbucker mags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Humbucker mags

Do the mini buckers use the same mags and slugs as normal buckers ?
    Mick

I'm not sure about the magnets, but the Gibson mini hums (LP Deluxe) I had once had small headless screw poles. I think they have a solid bar in the slug coil. The bobbins had slots in them. I'd guess that in the Firebird they used two bars for the poles.

Here's a photo I just found on the web...

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

A friend of mine insists that I make a minihumbucker to him. I ordered cover and baseplate from GJ. But I didnīt order the bobbin, I forgot. Now I see they have bobbin for blades. Will I mount the blades on top of a regular mag? Like one of the coil on your picture David.. And If I want screws on one coil, can I get away with little mods on these bladebobbins?

Comment

The bobbins have slots so they can use blades or screws.

I've never made any of these, but a few people on here do... maybe they will chime in with some advice.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yeah, info about wire and number turns would be great. Something to start with....

Comment

According to Steven Kertin the mini HBs were AWG42, 4250 turns each, 3.35 kohms and a A5 magnet (no mentioning of the size of the magnets).

Comment

The LP Deluxe-style mini's (1 blade on one coil, 6 screws on the other) can use regular size Alnico bar magnets. The Firebird (two-blade) is a little trickier because you have to make sure both blades are in full contact with the magnet. I like to use a 3/8" wide magnet, which is actually a hair too thin but I add a sliver of steel between one of the blades and the magnet so the fit is snug. I may have some 7/16" bar mags made for the mini's...

Also, I don't recommend the GJ baseplates -- they are tone killers. The Allparts baseplates are much better....if you can get them.

Comment

Not sure what you mean with the firebird pickups Zhang the bar mags sit inside the bobbins don't they?? they are the blades?? I just rewound a bridge ( piece of shit that was ) , the original one with 24k and ceramic mags sounded shite.....so I cut down some alnico mags to fit and rewound it with 43 to around 9k..heaps nicer...

Mick

Comment

Cutting alnico mags

How do you cut alnico mags, Mick?

Comment

I used a 4 inch angle grinder with a steel cutting blade...worked ok..

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by mick View Post
                      Not sure what you mean with the firebird pickups Zhang the bar mags sit inside the bobbins don't they?? they are the blades?? I just rewound a bridge ( piece of shit that was ) , the original one with 24k and ceramic mags sounded shite.....so I cut down some alnico mags to fit and rewound it with 43 to around 9k..heaps nicer...

Mick
                      The blades are traditionally not magnets in mini-hums. The magnet is down below like on a standard humbucker and the blades are just steel bars that act as slugs, what I like to call "bar slugs".

Comment

Working...
                      X