No announcement yet.

Italian Made Gaglio Pickups And The Fantasma System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well,now that this thread has gone way beyond the scope of my knowledge as to the workings of pickups,I'll ask another question about them.What's up with using 12 magnets per coil on some of the models instead of the usual 6?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
      Well, on to the brass tacks then. If we take [Gaglio's] assertion that it's wound hotter than standard pickups, first, how do we count the turns, does each turn count twice? I wouldn't think so.
      It's variable, in effect. If each of the two coils has N turns, the effective turns count will vary between N and 2N, depending on external circuitry and frequency.

We'd need to figure out approximately what gauge will take up less than half the space of AWG 42. Would that be 44 or 45? I don't have either so I'm stuck with 43 and a taller bobbin.
      I would just use the 43 and tall bobbin, so we have something we can measure and learn upon.

As for which wire size is required to fit in the same space, the rule for AWG wire sizes is that cross-sectional area of the bare wire doubles for every increase of 3 wire sizes. For example, #42 will have twice the area of 42+3= #45. Packing density will follow the same proportion, more or less.

Comment

Joe, thanks for that.
        I got some longer magnets on the way.

Spud1950 -just look what you started. The tightly spaced magnets probably provide a more consistent and stronger field, similar to a rail perhaps. It looks different and it's more recognizable so perhaps it has more to do with establishing brand identity than actual sonic improvements.

Meanwhile I saw this spool of bifilar wire from Bridgeport wire on ebay. Wrong gauge but it exists with a twist.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/Bridgeport-Red-G...mZ270329574100

Comment

The tightly spaced magnets probably provide a more consistent and stronger field, similar to a rail perhaps. It looks different and it's more recognizable so perhaps it has more to do with establishing brand identity than actual sonic improvements.
          Plus, the way they are diagonally offset makes them look like a wider magnet. You see the same concept on some Nordstrand pickups

Then putting the magnets closer together makes them like a blade. Bill Lawrence does this with his Jazz pickups, though they aren't that close together.

It looks cool, but I'd just as soon use a blade. Inserting all those rod magnets looks time consuming! I was using double poles on my early pickups. I don't hear any difference with the blades.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

David,
            not to change the subject but who was first with the staggered magnets?

Comment

David,
              not to change the subject but who was first with the staggered magnets?
              The first I saw was the Nords, but I was familiar with the Gaglio idea, though I had never seen the pickups, seeing them for the first time in this post. So I have no idea.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Has anyone taken this up and wound one? I am curious enough that I would wind one myself when time permits, but am hoping that some one has given it a go.

Also, what is the most appealing or interesting aspect of this design or theory to you?

I was thinking that since the magnets basicly become a core of a transformer, then it may be necessary to do something to those as well. Since it is not typical, I'm not entirely sure what that would be.
                Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

so has anyone tried winding a set of these yet or not? im still curious about them...

Comment

I've got a spool of 44awg coming from duckspaz this week. I'm also waiting on some longer Sensmag magnets due in next week.

Comment

Working...
                    X