solder help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all your help guys.

Have tried a number of different irons. I am taking a dremel to the covers and the baseplates so that I am completely through any finish that is on both parts.

If I just try to put some solder on the cover, it doesn't get nice and shiny and smooth, it stays dull and lumpy and flat(flat as opposed to shiny, not as opposed to lumpy). The whole cover heats up pretty quickly, and I'm wondering if the material that the cover is made from is such an efficient conductor of heat, that it is acing as a sink and stealing my heat away so quickly that i can't get the part heated up properly.

Have had some luck when I use a big gob of flux. It's been a real pain.

Exciting though. I'm making some pickups that sound good to my ears! Nothing new, but as a beginner, I'm just trying to imitate other pickups that sound good to me.

Billy

Comment

Billy,
      you might check to see if the solder you are using is "eutectic" This is a special formulation that goes from liquid to solid state over a small temperature increment and generally won't get crystalline structures going as it cools. Look for 37/63. Kimber sells a very shiny, eutectic solder that I've found to be one of the easiest to use and it's "audiophile" too.

Comment

I take a little file and grind some of the finish off the inside of the cover where the solder joint will be. Have never had trouble getting solder to stick to a baseplate though.

Comment

Working...
        X