• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
    slightly later violins were all bakelite that is
    LIke this one?

They are very cool looking instruments.
    Attached Files
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The stock pickups in an Epiphone Dot have a brass cover, and a brass baseplate. The DCR is reasonable for a PAF style pickup, but the sound of them isn't even close, with the highs being harsh and washed out, and the bass being too muddy and indistinct. It can't all be due to the wind, which makes me think the brass cover and baseplate are the major contributing factors.

I put a couple Seymour Duncan pickups I had in it (Alnico 2 Pro in neck and Pearly Gates in bridge), and while not perfect, I can definitly hear an improvement in the sound. Some unpotted pickups will be better, but these are a great improvement over the stock pickups. The major difference apart from the wind is the nickel baseplate and no cover.

Personally I'd never wind a pickup using metal bobbins, and I'd stay away from brass too because everything I've heard it in sounds bad.

Greg

Comment

yeah that one david, we redid one of those - the entire instrument including replacing some of the bakelite.

In my experience how the coil is wound is only a small part of the results- doesnt matter how you do it if you use bad parts- handwinding doesnt automatically make it good.

Comment

Working...
        X