Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

everyone is doing backflips over the Throbak paf clone - what do you guys make of ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
    I happily split the order with Dave and Wade of Motor City pickups as it made the screws affordable for all concerned.
    If those are the same screws that Wade sent me, those are really nice sounding screws. I had a couple of Stew-mac kits laying around, and wound up some pickups and then swapped the screws for those, and it was a big difference. They also exhibited stronger magnetic pull.

Regarding:

And, you don't need a leesona to wind an authentic paf clone, if you did than why aren't Seymours Antiquity's considered the ultimate paf clone? He's had a leesona forever.
    I'm going to say something that has been brought up a few times... there's always this discussion about who has the most authentic PAF clone. But you can only compare a new PAF style pickup to a sample of the original PAF's, and they often sounded very different.

So I think each pickup maker chooses an authentic PAF flavor... Duncan has several for example. I know some people who swear by them, and others who love the DiMarzio PAFs. In the end it's what you like. If the real PAF's were the best for everyone, then people wouldn't have been replacing them with DiMarzios and Duncans back in the 70's.

It's like what the legendary bassist Chuck Rainey said about Fender P bass pickups: "if the old ones were so good, why does everyone replace them?"

I think worrying about whether a pickup is an exact repro of a 50 year old pickup is pointless if that doesn't suit your needs. And as Dave has pointed out, you probably wont get the same tone as the old recordings you hear, since you don't know what the signal chain was, etc. People play different now, strings are different, amps are higher gain...

Like Letterman says, "It's an exhibition, not a competition" there is no right or wrong, it's just what you like. You like a pickup's tone, or you don't. All these guys make great sounding pickups, and they each do it in their own way. Jon has the Leesona, Dave has his super secret Wayback machine, Spence hand winds, and I don't know what Wade does... but I think it concerns firearms.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
      In all seriousnous I think Jon's got real potential. He's got what looks like a nice product with excellent marketability. I see steady growth for a while to come
      Did you once work on Wall Street? What's the Canadian version of Wall street?
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Bay Street

Comment

Originally posted by Jag View Post
          Bay Street
          We have a Bay Street train station here in town.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            We have a Bay Street train station here in town.
            Hey! So do we!
            www.tonefordays.com

Comment

#!!*@!

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              If those are the same screws that Wade sent me, those are really nice sounding screws. I had a couple of Stew-mac kits laying around, and wound up some pickups and then swapped the screws for those, and it was a big difference. They also exhibited stronger magnetic pull.

Regarding:

I'm going to say something that has been brought up a few times... there's always this discussion about who has the most authentic PAF clone. But you can only compare a new PAF style pickup to a sample of the original PAF's, and they often sounded very different.

So I think each pickup maker chooses an authentic PAF flavor... Duncan has several for example. I know some people who swear by them, and others who love the DiMarzio PAFs. In the end it's what you like. If the real PAF's were the best for everyone, then people wouldn't have been replacing them with DiMarzios and Duncans back in the 70's.

It's like what the legendary bassist Chuck Rainey said about Fender P bass pickups: "if the old ones were so good, why does everyone replace them?"

I think worrying about whether a pickup is an exact repro of a 50 year old pickup is pointless if that doesn't suit your needs. And as Dave has pointed out, you probably wont get the same tone as the old recordings you hear, since you don't know what the signal chain was, etc. People play different now, strings are different, amps are higher gain...

Like Letterman says, "It's an exhibition, not a competition" there is no right or wrong, it's just what you like. You like a pickup's tone, or you don't. All these guys make great sounding pickups, and they each do it in their own way. Jon has the Leesona, Dave has his super secret Wayback machine, Spence hand winds, and I don't know what Wade does... but I think it concerns firearms.
              Usually just gas and matches Dave. I'll take the firearm though for a rainy day.....I also trade pickups for stelletto (top release)

Comment

Originally posted by dretot View Post
                Alloy correct parts? old wire? I'm sorry, but I can't hold my tongue. I've tried several times to get a straight answer from Jon about his "nos" wire and he won't say a thing, not even the year it was produced. He always says, he doesn't want to give any hints of it's origin to his competitors. Well, I don't think telling us when the "nos" was made is going to give away anything. I was interested in his pu's at one point, but somethings fishy. I mean, don't people realize that "nos" could mean anything. That wire could be 5 years old for all we know............. loses some mystic, right? And, you don't need a leesona to wind an authentic paf clone, if you did than why aren't Seymours Antiquity's considered the ultimate paf clone? He's had a leesona forever.
                Jon's been very successful and his pu's sound good, I don't think they sound like paf's though. Good marketing I guess.
                One guy I know of that goes the extra mile in analyzing paf alloys and fabricating his own parts based on those results is Dave Stephens. If you truly want an authentic paf clone then check out his Vintage Lab clips on youtube. You'll be amazed at how close his pu's sound like paf's! Almost indistinguishable!

dre
                Dave Stevens Coils sound nice and bright- Even in the neck position. I have a set of his coils.
                I think you may be misunderstanding the wire a bit- It was made to old stock spec. Actual wire diameter and insulation. Who knows when it was made? Who cares? Is it spec'd wire. Is it correct Plain enamel or regulated? It could have been made in the late 70's but with todays technology a custom run batch willl be very consistant compared to older runs. Don't get so stinky about Jon retaining information. NOS is enough to know...

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                  Dave Stevens Coils sound nice and bright- Even in the neck position. I have a set of his coils.
                  I think you may be misunderstanding the wire a bit- It was made to old stock spec. Actual wire diameter and insulation. Who knows when it was made? Who cares? Is it spec'd wire. Is it correct Plain enamel or regulated? It could have been made in the late 70's but with todays technology a custom run batch willl be very consistant compared to older runs. Don't get so stinky about Jon retaining information. NOS is enough to know...
                  NightWinder,
                  I fully understand what's going on with the wire, but you just gave me more info about it than Jon ever did. And I have to respectfully disagree with you. I care when it was made and saying "nos" is not enough to know for me if I'm shelling out $500 for a set. When I'm buying nos tubes I can check manufacturer and date codes so that I know what I am buying, be it a 50's or 60's or 70's tube. And actually, 42 plain enamel wire produced today, even 5 years ago, is very inconsistent and is not the correct diameter plus the insulation is thicker that original paf wire.
                  Sorry for coming off as "stinky". I just want straight answers when I have questions about a product.

dre

Comment

saying "nos" is not enough to know for me if I'm shelling out $500 for a set.
                    Well, that's the beauty of the marketplace - you're free to find someone else who's more forthcoming with his sourcing. WB makes a nice sounding PAF, I doubt that Jon would shed a tear over losing your business.

Comment

NightWinder,
                      I fully understand what's going on with the wire, but you just gave me more info about it than Jon ever did. And I have to respectfully disagree with you. I care when it was made and saying "nos" is not enough to know for me if I'm shelling out $500 for a set. When I'm buying nos tubes I can check manufacturer and date codes so that I know what I am buying, be it a 50's or 60's or 70's tube. And actually, 42 plain enamel wire produced today, even 5 years ago, is very inconsistent and is not the correct diameter plus the insulation is thicker that original paf wire.
                      Sorry for coming off as "stinky". I just want straight answers when I have questions about a product.

dre
                      Dretot this is your third post and it bears all the earmarks of a troll.

Pickups makers know what the specific attributes of NOS wire. Right now I could tell you where to buy some NOS 42AWG PE from 1952 and I could tell were to buy some NOS 42 PE from 2002. Both vendors call this wire NOS PE. The vendor that stocks the wire from 2002 only has bottom of the barrel wire at this point and it frankly sucks, they want $45.00 per lb. for it last time I checked. The asking price for the wire from 1952 is $60.00 per lb. which is way too high for me to be interested plus it is a complete unknown quantity. My NOS wire comes from neither of these suppliers. Many companies used to make this wire and it surfaces now and then. But getting hung up on the date is pointless IMO. I guarantee you if I said the wire came from 1952 a good number of people would claim the wire is too old and the coils will be prone to failure. If I said it came from the 2002 a bunch of people would say it was junk because it was made from different copper. Both of these opinions would have little basis in fact. Right now there are two companies that I know could make the correct wire today if they wanted to. It is not a mystery how to do it. The old machines that drew the wire were not pushed of a cliff in 1962. Frankly the risk in buying NOS wire is that some place will decide to make it to the correct specs. again thus making the NOS wire overpriced. I represent my stuff fairly and accurately on my site. I offer way more specifics about the entire process than most. But if there is not enough NOS information for you to feel secure I completely understand..
                      They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                      www.throbak.com
                      Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
                        Well, that's the beauty of the marketplace - you're free to find someone else who's more forthcoming with his sourcing. WB makes a nice sounding PAF, I doubt that Jon would shed a tear over losing your business.
                        Dave,
                        I don't want Jon to feel bad for not getting my business, heck, I know you can't please everyone all the time. If you read my initial post, you'll see I've already found a paf clone that sounds "right", to me.

dre

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
                          Dretot this is your third post and it bears all the earmarks of a troll.

Pickups makers know what the specific attributes of NOS wire. Right now I could tell you where to buy some NOS 42AWG PE from 1952 and I could tell were to buy some NOS 42 PE from 2002. Both vendors call this wire NOS PE. The vendor that stocks the wire from 2002 only has bottom of the barrel wire at this point and it frankly sucks, they want $45.00 per lb. for it last time I checked. The asking price for the wire from 1952 is $60.00 per lb. which is way too high for me to be interested plus it is a complete unknown quantity. My NOS wire comes from neither of these suppliers. Many companies used to make this wire and it surfaces now and then. But getting hung up on the date is pointless IMO. I guarantee you if I said the wire came from 1952 a good number of people would claim the wire is too old and the coils will be prone to failure. If I said it came from the 2002 a bunch of people would say it was junk because it was made from different copper. Both of these opinions would have little basis in fact. Right now there are two companies that I know could make the correct wire today if they wanted to. It is not a mystery how to do it. The old machines that drew the wire were not pushed of a cliff in 1962. Frankly the risk in buying NOS wire is that some place will decide to make it to the correct specs. again thus making the NOS wire overpriced. I represent my stuff fairly and accurately on my site. I offer way more specifics about the entire process than most. But if there is not enough NOS information for you to feel secure I completely understand..
                          Jon,
                          Hold on a minute there buddy, I don't appreciate being called a troll. I know I have a low post count here so it seems like I came out of nowhere, but without listing all my credits I've been a professional musician since I was 15 and I'm 45 now. I'm not some bozo just looking to stir crap up. I've been chasing paf tone for a long time and I definitely have a strong opinion on what I like and don't like. As far as it being my 3rd post, well I was merely replying to the responses.
                          I appreciate your reply and explanation and I apologize for my comments if they came off as an attack on you, I honestly did not intend to do that, but the troll comment was out of line.

dre

Comment

asddddddddddddddddd

NightWinder,

dre
                            Tubes are tubes..Apples and oranges y'know? I was kinda poking around that some of us are custom ordering wire also to personal spec so the game changes considerably to what is available from just placing a call and ordering off the shelf......

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                              Tubes are tubes..Apples and oranges y'know? I was kinda poking around that some of us are custom ordering wire also to personal spec so the game changes considerably to what is available from just placing a call and ordering off the shelf......
                              Nightwinder,
                              Thanks,
                              yeah, I understand what your saying.

dre

Comment

Dretot,

The troll comment came about because of how you presented yourself.....you attacked one maker and then crowed about another in the same post....which traditionally isn't done here.....it is often a tactic used by trolls. Many of these pickup makers collaborate on parts orders, ideas about winding, etc., outside of this forum, and then things are discussed here also. Before this forum was here, it was a different one someplace else, and guys like Wolfe and Jason used to collaborate just like guys do here nowadays. That other site was going away and Tboy helped everyone out and hosted it here, and yes it is a really nice place with great info and lots of good, knowledgeable posters....but keep in mind that there are things in this industry like any other that are kind of like insider information, and these guys would be remiss if they didn't work together to get the parts they need as accurately as possible, and that kind of thing is almost never on a public forum someplace. There is always stuff going on behind the scenes between the various makers. They're kind of in their own little club in a way, and pointing fingers at one to pump up another isn't appreciated by anyone here. Both Dave and Jon make excellent pickups, and excellent PAF clones as do quite a few others here.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X