Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

everyone is doing backflips over the Throbak paf clone - what do you guys make of ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread should have never happened, the initial poster broke the rules of this forum, this is not a place to compare maker's products or post reviews or sell one's work etc. This has been an unwritten rule on thie forum from day one. I know the original post was not a troll post but it sure had the same effect :-) Where the hell is Dr. Strangelove when you need him? How much are we paying that guy anyway?
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Your Mother was a Nazi.

Originally posted by Possum View Post
      Where the hell is Dr. Strangelove when you need him? How much are we paying that guy anyway?
      Please don't wake the Immoderator when he is working.

More seriously, you guys moderated this forum just fine.

You identified the infraction, notified folks of the general
      ground rules, were civil in manner, and never once insulted
      the guys' Mothers or called them Nazis.

...but, by golly!, it doesn't hafta be that way.

-The Immoderator
      He who moderates least moderates best.

Comment

Greg,
        O.k. I just got back and re-read the whole thread. You're right, I did come off troll-ish. I totally understand, and again, I apologize for how I came across and I would like to say to Jon that I in no way wanted to discredit him or his pu's.
        Thanks for explaining that to me Greg.

dre

Comment

Yah its not a problem Dre....I could see as the posts went on that you weren't a troll, but some of the behavoir came across that way. I think we're all cool now. I figured I'd give you a heads up about etiquette here as I've been one of the longest members and helped to get the site here on Ampage along with Wolfe when it was going away from where it was previously hosted like 10 years ago or something. Its a cool place, but every once in awhile someone new comes along as causes issues, so its good to let people know the skinny here before things get out of control sometimes.

Greg

Comment

Mine's longer
            http://www.SDpickups.com
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

What is wrong with you people?

You're wimps, a bunch of wusses.

This had all the promising indications of turning into
              an acrimonious, profanity-splattered flame fest replete
              with a build-up to a Hitler/Nazi insult and a side dish
              of 'Yo Momma'.

But No-o-o-o-o-o!

You all had to go civilised, act like adults, and inject
              factual information into what could have been a
              vindictive exchange of ignorant diatribes.

(sigh)

pinin' for the Bad Ole Days of the Innernets,

-The Immoderator
              He who moderates least moderates best.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                Mine's longer

Yah what is? Your nose? Thats from lying too much!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  He has the same winder Gibson used on the originals, and he even has one of Gibson's old winders.

He makes some cool effects pedals too.
                  Umm. Didn't John buy that Leesona offa Ebay???

Yah.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
                    Umm. Didn't John buy that Leesona offa Ebay???

Yah.
                    Wolfe, read what I wrote:

He has the same winder Gibson used on the originals, and he even has one of Gibson's old winders.
                    You see I'm talking about two different winders, right?

Yes, Jon bought the Leesona off eBay, and bought one of Gibson's shop made winders from Heritage Guitars.

He calls it a "slug winder" and has posted photos of it here.

You haven't been here in a while, so you must have missed that.

Bringing some of that MLP forum attitude with you, huh?
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Wolfe, read what I wrote:

You see I'm talking about two different winders, right?

Yes, Jon bought the Leesona off eBay, and bought one of Gibson's shop made winders from Heritage Guitars.

He calls it a "slug winder" and has posted photos of it here.

You haven't been here in a while, so you must have missed that.

Bringing some of that MLP forum attitude with you, huh?
                      Ahh I see, cool. I wasn't aware that he'd goten another one.
                      Haven't been MLP'ing in quite a while. I suppose it's due to the divorce I'm going through currently.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
                        Ahh I see, cool. I wasn't aware that he'd goten another one.
                        Haven't been MLP'ing in quite a while. I suppose it's due to the divorce I'm going through currently.
                        Oh man, sorry to hear that Wolfe.

Nice to have you back here.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

There isn't a single person on the forum that you couldn't get along with in real life, or wouldn't enjoy having a drink with. But when people post stuff under a handle to other people using a handle, and neither can see the other, weird stuff happens, and stuff gets more provocative than would normally be the case if they were chatting face to face.

Just keep that in mind at all times, and you'll be alright.

As an aside, I've taken statistics courses from some 7-8 different profs in my life, and one of the things I learned over the years was that methodologists tend to think that every other methodologist is wrong, or at best only partly right. In many respects, pickup-makers ARE methodologists, simply because what defines their product is HOW they generate it. Small wonder, then, that interactions between them can sometimes be a cage match just waiting to happen!

Comment

Oh man, sorry to hear that Wolfe.

Nice to have you back here.
                            She blames it on the business, among a few other things.

Comment

I have a question... Do you think the average person in a bar can really hear the difference from the Throbak PAF pups to a regular generic PAF say by GFS???

I doubt it. Been there with gear when playing out and only a hand full of musicians can tell the difference. You would be suprised how tone deaf most folks are...especially drunks in a bar...and vintage tone is soooo subjective too.

SLO

Comment

It's all subjective. Just as important as tone is how do the pickups feel to the player. If the guitar feels different, responds differently when you pick a note it can change your playing for the better. Pickups are a big part of that. It just depends on what you are after. It could be an old cheap Silvertone or a vintage Les Paul.... but it it feels right it is good no matter price, make etc..
                                They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                                www.throbak.com
                                Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Working...
                                X