Minihumbucker parts and magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minihumbucker parts and magnets

Got word from another winder that Allparts is now selling minihumbucker parts. Anyone else know about this? If so, are their covers no-hole (think Firebird) or 6-hole (LP Deluxe)?

Also, where do you get the right size magnets for these, and are they typically ceramic or Alnico?

I don't think AllParts USA is on that bandwagon...yet

-Stan
    -Stan
    ...just transferring wire from one spool to another
    Stan Hinesley Pickups
    FaceBook

Comment

Got the minibucker sets from Allparts. They sent me regular size polepieces on the first try -- YIKES! -- but I got the right ones now.

Now all I need is a little time between orders to make my first one...

Comment

Hey Zhang

Are you in the US or elsewhere? I dont see them on the USA allparts site.

Comment

Originally posted by madialex
          Are you in the US or elsewhere? I dont see them on the USA allparts site.
          I'm in Los Angeles.

They have all kinds of stuff not on their site. Give them a call, ask for Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun
            ask for Sean.

or ask for Phil. Phil is the most knowledgable sales rep I've ever met in the music industry. He knows their product line backwards and forwards.

Johnny Atomic

Comment

AH HAAA I found the thread

Do all parts sell everything, baseplates, keepers, poles mags etc... for a mini HB? Thanks.

Comment

@Zhangliqun

I have a Firebird and I am not quite satisfied with the PUs (Ceramic, high resistance).
                The aftermarket situation is also not satisfying. (Think of the awful covers the Duncans have!, And I don't want to $300 for a pair)

how did you get Minihumbucker parts from Allparts?

Did you get all parts - baseplate, bobbin, magnet (AlNiCo?), polepieces ....?

What kind of cover did you get? - Chrome? - closed/no holes? German silver or brass?

How much did you pay?

Comment

Can't remember exactly what I paid but it seemed to be in the same neighborhood as the cost for regular humbucker parts.

As for how to get them, just call up Allparts and ask for them. There's all kinds of stuff not on their website. Sometimes they're out of stock on the off-website stuff.

Their kits are for the LP Deluxe-style mini's, not Firebirds, though if you have a no-hole cover, they can be easily converted. The polepieces screw directly into the baseplate through a big rectangular hole in the bobbin that runs the length of the inside of the bobbin. The other bobbin gets what I call a "bar slug" that works like a blade in blade pu's like Bill Lawrence or Duncan Rails, except much thicker. Looks sort of like a smaller Alnico bar mag but it's not a magnet. It's just a one-piece slug that runs the length of the bobbin.

I use regular humbucker (2.5" x 0.5" x 0.125") bar magnets -- there's plenty of room for them so I assume the originals just used the same mags too. I don't know what the baseplate is made of but it doesn't seem to matter because even though I haven't made a bunch of them, so far they've come out sounding really, really good, if I do say so myself. My customers like 'em too, and that is the main thing after all.

The cover choices you have with Allparts are chrome, chrome and chrome. They also occasionally get some chrome in but you might have to wait awhile. I'm not sure what they are on the inside (not the coating) but I'm guessing nickel-silver (not the coating) because the pu's came out sounding very clear and sparkly. Brass covers would have made them really dull and weak.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket View Post
                    I have a Firebird and I am not quite satisfied with the PUs (Ceramic, high resistance).
                    The aftermarket situation is also not satisfying. (Think of the awful covers the Duncans have!, And I don't want to $300 for a pair)
                    If you want to tinker with them, swap out the magnets for alnicos, and you can also unwind some wire off the coils. I used to do this for people back when DiMarzios first came out, and they wanted something a bit brighter. This was before the Super II.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

That would work.

Comment

It's not a vintage guitar ('97) but still I am reluctant to mess with the stock PUs, I might get a GFS as a basis. But that will have a brass cover, I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket View Post

how did you get Minihumbucker parts from Allparts?

Did you get all parts - baseplate, bobbin, magnet (AlNiCo?), polepieces ....?

What kind of cover did you get? - Chrome? - closed/no holes? German silver or brass?

How much did you pay?
                          This one is pretty nice sounding

http://www.wdmusic.com/mini_humbucke...29717_prd1.htm

Comment

Working...
                          X