Magnets pulling out of tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnets pulling out of tune

Is it possible with a standard humbucker design, that it can pull the guitar out of tune? I have never had a customer say this, ever. But my buddy says it is. I told him someone is blowing hit air up his ass. The height is set at just under 2mm from the top of the screw to the bottom of the string. Tuning is a holestep down.
    Needless to say, he also had a earvana nut, as i think this is the culprit. I say no way! He must be smokin somethin' good. Whats the buzzzzzz?

Oh it's quite possible if you do what Possum does. Essentially you build a huge capacitor, hook it up to the national grid or better still a nuclear device and then discharge it through your magnetizer across the completed humbucker.
    Maybe you should ask him who built the bucker......
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

charging full buckers

most people don't charge the full bucker in the magnet charger and it does make the guass real high at the poles done this way. I tried it once and didn't like it for vintage stuff and don't use it on anything I make right now, could use useful at some point.

Obviously if he is tuning a full step down his strings are going to be real slack so a regular alnico 5 in the bucker can probably pull those out of tune. Especially if you're using the magnets I sent you (full charge) and you're doing double screw bobbins to boot with allen head tops, since the tops are smaller they have a concentrated magnetic window there, so yeah I can see this happening. you should pull the magnet out and degauss it down about a third and that should help. Maybe try all nickel strings instead of nickel plate too...
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Spence View Post
        Oh it's quite possible if you do what Possum does. Essentially you build a huge capacitor, hook it up to the national grid or better still a nuclear device and then discharge it through your magnetizer across the completed humbucker.
        Maybe you should ask him who built the bucker......
        I built the humbucker, classic design, slug and screw, 16.3k a5,slight offset. Allstar magnets. Thus was no problem, until the earvana modification arrived. The other guitar player in his band has no problems with the same exact bucker.** Would clamping it 1 1/4 inch away from an A8 lower it enough? Everytime I take magnets out of humbuckers after a day or so, there is a considerable amount of drop in strength, which really makes hot air for me as to the humbucker pulling it out of tune because of the charge. This is why I love what I do........Brain teasers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
          most people don't charge the full bucker in the magnet charger and it does make the guass real high at the poles done this way. I tried it once and didn't like it for vintage stuff and don't use it on anything I make right now, could use useful at some point.

Obviously if he is tuning a full step down his strings are going to be real slack so a regular alnico 5 in the bucker can probably pull those out of tune. Especially if you're using the magnets I sent you (full charge) and you're doing double screw bobbins to boot with allen head tops, since the tops are smaller they have a concentrated magnetic window there, so yeah I can see this happening. you should pull the magnet out and degauss it down about a third and that should help. Maybe try all nickel strings instead of nickel plate too...
          Classic design.....Screw slug combo. Its not the 22k NUKE I sent you. These magnets were allstar. Remember I noticed a difference in strength with yours compared to A.S.? Never had this issue befor. A.S's seem to not be charged fully. The magnets you sent me....are gone and I have'nt had a problem with those eather(Dave looks out for his mates). He's using Dr's 10-50, pure blues. Thats why I really wanna lean toward a tuning issue.* So, It is totally possible for humbuckers to pull out of tune? Hey, offtopic, kinda.......Im getting some fabulous results with A8 Neck humbuckers. Jaw dropping man. Its a hybrid design, 42 pe and 43pe. Quite hot, but the A8 seems to just totally have a insane push. Real creamy. Possum, you got MAIL too!

Comment

Tuning for sure

Drop tuning that low is almost sure to pull out of tune. My wifes brother plays metal and tunes down just like that but has to lower the pickups or it pulls out of tune like mad, no biggie he just adjusts the amp to compensate for the extra space

Comment

Working...
            X