• Peavey T-40 bass pickup specs?

Need specs for an upcoming rewind.
    DC resistance would be sufficient.

The older T-40's were wax-potted and relatively accessible
    for repair (unlike much of Peavey electronics) so this one
    has a good chance of success.

thanks all,
    -drh
    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

I came up empty for specs, but did see this contact info for the T40/T60 dude:
    chipscorner
    chiptodd@austin.rr.com

Comment

Have you tried asking Peavey? Someone there like Anthony John should be helpful.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Chip Todd, the T-40 designer, responded quickly and forwarded
        my question to the pickup builder, R.T. Lowe.

We'll see if he has interest in replying.

One old forum mentioned a 13k DC resistance for both coils combined.
        The core is a blade, interestingly.

Thanks again,
        -drh
        "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

On the newer pickups you could see the blades. They were exposed, right up the middle of the black plastic area. They looked pretty thin too.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

R.T. Lowe, the pickup's creator, reports that each coil is 3750 winds of #42.

Chip Todd, who built the T-40 bass, maintains a web site and referred my question to R.T.Lowe.

Good guys, both of 'em.

-drh

Comment

My Toasters average 2.8k per coil. My Blades average 5.3k per coil.

My pups are epoxy potted, not wax potted. The epoxy is a pain in the butt to remove. The first one I stripped took several hours. The bobbin is plastic so one needs to be very careful with it. The wire is a red coated 42 awg type. The pups have a weird soldering post sticking out from the bobbin. These can be brittle as I broke one when bending it out of the way. These pups were designed for manufacturing ease and not rework. I had 2 pups lose a coil because the wire broke. It looks like a combination of brittle wire and shrinking epoxy dit it.

I haven't wound mine yet but will do a 4 wire connection when I do. The 3 wire is just hokie. I did do a 4 wire mod to one and it makes series/tap/parallel switching so much easier. Wiring to a 4 pole 6 throw rotary switch offers a bunch of possibilities. Plus, a 4 wire gives back a real tone control. I'm contemplating rewinding most of mine. I have both Essex red wire and Heavy Formvar 42 awg. I'll probably replace the soldering posts with brass eyelets. Wax potting is a definite.

The 3750 winds of 42 awg sounds about right for 2.8k.

Comment

Working...
              X