No announcement yet.

Alternative To Forbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking bobbins, please tell us a bit more about the pickups. I saw online that they do not have 3/32nd thickness, just 1/8" and 1/16" and 1/32". What are you using on your bobbins, 1/8 & 1/16?

Thanks A

Comment

Originally posted by angelodp View Post
      Nice looking bobbins, please tell us a bit more about the pickups. I saw online that they do not have 3/32nd thickness, just 1/8" and 1/16" and 1/32".
      Why would you need 3/32"?
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I thought that was the dimension from Mojotone?

Comment

I thought that was the dimension from Mojotone?
          But... why does it matter? That's just the thickness they use for forbon. We are talking about some other material. The thickness of the flat work is not important as long as it's strong enough.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't know about Mojotone but certainly many Fender pickups used 3/32" material. The 1/16 is often too floppy and the 1/8" stuff takes up too much room, reducing the number of turns you can pack on. I use 3/32 for almost all my bobbins. If the Garolyte XX is stiffer than Forbon then the 1/16" stuff should suffice everywhere.

Comment

Ok, I was under the impression that the thickness of the material coupled with the length of the magnets creates the bobbin size, and that dimension is standard. Ok are there specific bobbing heights that are standard or Strat, Tele, HB's . I am referring to the ID.

Comment

Ok, I was under the impression that the thickness of the material coupled with the length of the magnets creates the bobbin size, and that dimension is standard. Ok are there specific bobbing heights that are standard or Strat, Tele, HB's . I am referring to the ID.
                If you were able to use 1/16" thick flatwork, and it's stiff enough, it won't change the geometry enough on the pickup to make a big difference. You might not even hear anything.

Don't get so hung up on exactly how Fender pickups were made, just make a pickup that you like the tone of. No reason to be a slave to the past.

Comment

When i search some alternative for plates i found this old topic. I have an experience with polycarbonate (maybe plexi glass as a trading name but not acrylic plexi) i my engineering job. I think it is convenient material for this job. It is definitely stronger than delrin or abs both thermal and mechanically. Has anyone tried this? Its transparent look might also be cool.
                  Last edited by hendrix_inspiration; 03-29-2022, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X