Gluing Magnets... or not...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing Magnets... or not...?

I bought those ceramic magnets for a 7 string pickup I'm building. They have 24mm X 14mm X 4mm, and have grade 5. But they are to small to cover all the poles of the pickup.

So... what is better to do.. glue them (see images) or not to glue them...?

jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
    mm basses -only exotic woods from Colombia-
    mm basses

hmmm. attaching them like that, IMO, doesn't seem structurally sound to me. They may vibrate themselve apart over time. Of course all you can do is try it and see.

I'm in the process of developing a prototype which will include gluing 2 ceramic magnets together one on top of the other. Stew mac has some really great super glue for this sort of thing.

It's funny, the gauss level of the 2 mags together reads the same as if i was measuring one magnet.
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
      hmmm. attaching them like that, IMO, doesn't seem structurally sound to me. They may vibrate themselve apart over time. Of course all you can do is try it and see.
      I wouldn't do it like that, I'd do it like the Fender pickups with the ceramic magnets... like a P-90.

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
      I'm in the process of developing a prototype which will include gluing 2 ceramic magnets together one on top of the other. Stew mac has some really great super glue for this sort of thing.

It's funny, the gauss level of the 2 mags together reads the same as if i was measuring one magnet.
      Do you mean stacked on top of each other with the poles stuck to one another, or so the poles are facing the same way?

Sticking magnets together does make them stronger. Sitting two on top of one another with the poles facing the same way doesn't seem to.

K&J Magnetics - Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

9. Does stacking magnets together make them stronger?
      Yes, two or more magnets stacked together will behave exactly like a single magnet of the combined size. For example, if you stacked two of our D82 disc magnets to form a 1/2" x 1/4" combined size, the two magnets would have the same strength and behave identically to our D84 discs, which are 1/2" diameter x 1/4" thick.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hi there... I made a little experiment.. I took iron dust and put my magnets glued and unglued to see how the dust behave with the magnetism... that's what I found.. I know this is not new.... but I have a new question...

Three magnets glued...

Three magnets, really close to each other...

How can affect the magnetism on the pickup in both cases, glued and unglued..?
        I forgot to write this before.. it's a 7 strings humbucker, and each coil has its own set of magnets....
        jairo eduardo suarez gallardo
        mm basses -only exotic woods from Colombia-
        mm basses

Comment

I would glue some pieces of wood along the bottom of the pickup base to create a channel for the magnets to sit in and then glue them in.Seems that would add a lot more stability.

Comment

Working...
          X