Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solder start to eyelet before or after winding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tape the magnet wire to the back of the face plate using blue painter's tape, delecate surface, it pulls off easiily without ripping the magnet wire but you do have to be slow about it....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I tell you I'm liking the velcro a lot because the wire just slips right out of it when you pull the coil out. I put one tiny patch 1/4" square on the edge of the platter and the other on the opposite side but on the face away from the coil mounting side.

I've also instituted a 1/16" pin dead center on the winder shaft to locate the flatwork, I wish I'd done that a year ago. I had to drill the corresponding hole in all my drilling jigs for all the different styles and string spacings (14 of them now) It took me all afternoon on the milling machine.

Now that I have a live tailstock that takes 2 seconds to slide in and out and lock, I can change bobbins in seconds instead of minutes. I actually wound a useable J coil at 2K rpm with it and the wind took just 5 minutes from start to finish. Too bad I need 8 coils for just one bass...

Now if we could just get that CNC traverse going and then find a quicker way to thread the wire through eyelets. I might be able to finish a set in less than a full day.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        Now if we could just get that CNC traverse going and then find a quicker way to thread the wire through eyelets. I might be able to finish a set in less than a full day.
        Have you considered using the mechanism from a desk fan?
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
          The reason I asked is that I end up breaking the inside lead off at the edge of the coil when i try to remove the dumb tape that keeps it from flapping during the wind. It sound's like I'm just clumsy and I am but there has got to be a better way to stash that loose leader than taping it down.
          This is why I thread my wire first with a cinch knot at the last thread. When I first started rewinding old Fender pickups I wouldn't thread the wire before winding, and I would finish the wind, remove the bobbin from the winder and start to thread the start wire. I've had the wire break on the first thread, then you are SOL. Now you have to strip the bobbin and start all over again.
          Bill Megela

Electric City Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
            IMHO if you solder before winding you are taking a chance of damaging/breaking the wire when you are installing the lead wires.
            There is a risk there to be sure but I've developed a technique to where that just doesn't happen.

Originally posted by possum
            Its really not a good idea to take readings during winding unless you are painting over the scraped insulation with laquer or whatever, or you leave a weak spot that will be subject to break down.
            I hit it the bald spot with a thin coat of red nail polish -- red so I can make sure I hit the spot -- wait for it to dry and then continue winding.

Comment

Working...
            X