DeArmond humbucker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeArmond humbucker question

I'm sure everyone loves a good vintage pickup picture. Here's a DeArmond that belongs to a friend of mine. I was curious about the back where the posts are. I'm assuming each post is a start and end from each bobbin but I'm surprised that a vintage pickup would have such a feature. Was the intention to do coil tapping? I'm also suspicous of the wire that still soldered to the posts. This can't be vintage wire. Can anyone ballpark the date on this pickup. I obviously don't know much about these pickups so exuse the dumb questions!
    Attached Files

It could have been made yesterday.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Those Dearmond USA pickups were from 21st century Korean Dearmonds.

Comment

Yes,those are DeArmonds of fairly recent manufacture,out of one of the Korean made Dearmond branded guitars.They are not vintage Dearmond-Rowe made pickups. The DeArmond name is owned by Fender and the bottom of the pickup is typical of Fender made humbuckers.It's just a Fender humbucker dressed up to look like a DeArmond.

"Guild had also introduced DeArmond guitars in 1998. Fender had purchased the DeArmond brand of musical instrument pickups in 1997, and then combined the company with Guild to produce an alternative line of high quality, affordable guitars and basses that are modeled after Guild designs. The guitars themselves are built and assembled in Korea before being sent back to Corona, where they are fitted with American-made pickups."

Fender also owns Guild.
        Last edited by spud1950; 06-22-2009, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Yeah its a Fender made product, probably made to resemble a vintage product, but none of these were the same as what they look like. Their version of the Dynasonic is completely different than a real Dynasonic, they're not bad pickups but they don't sound like the real thing, total phony copies....
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Same case with the current Fender "Wide Range" humbuckers that are just a regular Fender humbucker, which are just Gibson style humbuckers in construction, under the larger Wide Range cover.Nothing like the originals.
            Last edited by spud1950; 06-23-2009, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. As always your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by spud1950 View Post
                Same case with the current Fender "Wide Range" humbuckers that are just a regular Fender humbucker, which are just Gibson style humbuckers in construction, under the larger Wide Range cover.Nothing like the originals.
                The new "wide range" hums are in fact, those very same bobbins in the pics on this thread. I had one crap out on me, so I rebuilt the guts using two cheep-o plastic bobbin tele bridge pickups with an alnico bar. The spacing was dead on for the cover, and it actually sounded more like an original than the new ones.

Comment

Wanna hear a great set of WideRange reproductions?

Click on this link and enjoy!

http://www.offsetguitars.com/persona...telebronco.mp3

He goes with the nick of Tele-Bob in the Seymour Duncan Forum, go there and use the Search engine. He recently showed a few of his projects and look (and sound) great.
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

Working...
                  X