Registering a business in the City of Angels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering a business in the City of Angels

Have heard a lot of horror stories, especially with costs. If anyone has gone through this, give it to me straight, I can take it...

I don't know what it's like in LA, but I have registered businesses in Boston, MA and Nashville, TN and they both went smoothly. Nashville was easier. I just went to the county clerk, filled out a form, handed over my fee and was on my way to the bank to open a business account. In Boston, it was a bit different. I went to the clerk who sent me to the building inspector to get his sign off on the location I am currently in. I took that back to the clerk, filled out a form, payed my fee, and way on my way to the bank to open the business account.

I can't imagine LA being any more hectic than Metro Boston.
    Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

I'd suggest you contact the City directly. The only 'horror' story I'm aware of was someone who didnt have a business license and the city found out.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Amen. COntact the city clerk or county clerk or whoever handles such stuff and ask to start the process.

Lansing Michigan is not all that large. The city is some 100,000 or so I guess, overall area about 450,000. To register my business name, I went to the county clerk's office, filled out the form, handed them my $10, and walked out with a notarized "dba." Might be a little more complex for LA.

My credit union has been my bank for decades. I found out they do small business banking as well, I so went with them. I am quite happy. That was simple as can be.

It matters what you plan to do. Working from your basement is not the same thing as opening a commercial store.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
          I'd suggest you contact the City directly. The only 'horror' story I'm aware of was someone who didnt have a business license and the city found out.
          Big fine?

Comment

Better yet. Visit that state's website. They usually have info on starting and running a business in CA and all the necessary requirments and costs.

It's not that bad of a process from my experience.
            www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
              Big fine?
              Yes.

As kevinT pointed out, the state of CA has information on some business requirements here:

Starting a Business

In any event, you're still going to have to contact the city of Los Angeles for their specific requirements.
              Last edited by JoeM; 06-24-2009, 06:04 PM.
              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
              - Yogi Berra

Comment

Thanks, Joe and Kevin. Have tried to wander through the maze of LA City's gov sites but couldn't get anywhere close to a how-to. Will try again...

Comment

Working...
                X