Dark Star Bass pickup info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nekodensha View Post
    Probably a real pain to turn out in any quantity if you build to original spec- but the demand is definitely there.
    I'm sure it was. And to be clear, I'm not making mine look like a Bi-Sonic. So no chrome bezel, and no adjustable poles. Just the sound producing bits in more standard soapbar covers.

Much of the original pickup was wasted space and didn't do much of anything for the tone.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

If you're getting results you like without all of that extra paraphenalia so much the better. The added cost of producing Dark Stars meant I never ordered. I was quite interested in Hammon's pickups but there was no way I could've justified ponying up for a set at that time.

The cosmetics of the Bi Sonic/Dark Star pickups are just that, sure; but there's no getting around that people really do like the look of the Dark Stars. That said, pickups in standard soapbar cases that can be ordered and installed stack up very favorably against ones that can't be ordered or installed due to their ongoing non-production.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        I'm sure it was. And to be clear, I'm not making mine look like a Bi-Sonic. So no chrome bezel, and no adjustable poles.
        Very reasonable approach, IMO. Bar poles independent on string spacing or single poles?

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I'm sure it was. And to be clear, I'm not making mine look like a Bi-Sonic. So no chrome bezel, and no adjustable poles.
          Very reasonable approach, IMO. Bar poles independent on string spacing or single poles?

Comment

Originally posted by bea View Post
            Bars. That was one problem with the DarkStars. They didn't fit every bass, so he had to offer multiple spacings. Blade poles fix that issue.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

IMO this is how it should be done.

Anyway i still would like to understand what makes up that sound characteristics (physically).
              Background: i wonder if that could also be realized as a low impedance pickup, especially in the mids and lows (the treble range is dominated by the resonance which can be easily manipulated by a resistor and a capacitor, especially if it is originally high and has a large Q).
              Actually i would like to do my first stps into pickup making - my first one will probably be a low impedance lipstick like construction. (And the preamp might be a low voltage tube preamp, just for the fun of it. And the target guitar will be an attempt to design an own approach to an ergonomic guitar from unusual woods)

Comment

This is Bo Pirruccello from Hanson Pickups. We have been building Chisonic pickups since 2007. We were originally trying to capture the Bi Sonic vibe, but when we went with neodymium magnets in the prototyping stages, it obviously changed things. I am now going to offer the Chi sonic 4 string sets in an additional model using Alnico V bars. We really like this pickup and are probably going to name them Chi sonics V. Release date will be October. If any questions, email me at bo@hansonpickups.com.
                Great forum!
                Bo Pirruccello
                Hanson pickups/Hanson guitars, Lakland Basses
                Chicago, IL USA

Comment

Working...
                X