No announcement yet.

How high a vacuum for wax potting ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never needed to use a vacuum when potting pickups but as you have one then why not. The only thing I would add is that if your wax is too hot, it will boil the solvents in any lacquer which will stream out of the pickup in the way you describe. I wouldn't venture over 50 C with the wax.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Originally posted by StarryNight View Post
      They want bright, clear tone that cuts through without any microphonics (and alll the good stuff that comes with microphonics). They rarely play clean and some get very picky about their tone. I find it much easier to wind for vintage enthusiasts.
      If you listen to the pickups that DiMarzio make that are popular with the high gain crowd, like the Tone Zone, they sound dreadful clean. They have no tone and are very "hard" sounding pickups. But I guess they sound good with gobs of distortion.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hi Spence

Good point, I usually laquer dip and then throw the bobbin into the oven at a low setting to force out the solvents, and i´m an impatient sod at the best of times, I only let the wax get to melting point and not much higher.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
        X