Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David King View Post
    Belwar,
    Was the P coil wound directly around the magnet?
    Sorry I missed this message -

Yes, the wire was wound directly around the magnet.. Only a layer of masking tape seperating it to prevent shorts.

matt

Comment

• Originally posted by jbrew73 View Post
      thanks for the info ModMK.

now if i could just find a schematic.
      Im considering trying to draw out a schematic, but it would be challenging because everything is surface mount. I have one, and it looks there are some writing on the components but i'll need a magnafying glass to see them. I tried taking a pictiure of it with a 10 megapixel camera today, but I just could zoom in close enough.

It sure is tiny!

To be honest, im starting to think there is alot more hype to these LP's than anything else. I guess i'll see as I dig in more.

Comment

• Originally posted by ModulusMK View Post
        I have the Bartolini NTMB schematic if you want.
        I'd love to see it, just for the heck of it.

Comment

It's a rail-to-rail opamp, OP484 from Analog Devices.

http://www.analog.com/static/importe...84_284_484.pdf
          OK.

Hey David, will you scan the pickup part of the book? I'm asking you 3 times...
          That's half of the book... I'll find the graphs I was talking about and scan those pages.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Bartolini is BiPolar and Aguilar is FET design.
            The schematic for the NTMB I have uses a MC33178 op amp. Is that the one you have?
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

I would love to have the Bartolini NTMB schematic, send me a copy of that please!

Comment

Hey David, will you scan the pickup part of the book?
                Check out the last graph. He states that was due to eddy currents.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks for the graph David, however it's useful to have the whole book in hands, what can I do only with graphs
                  What exactly are eddy currents?

Yes, I have the schematic that uses MC33178 op amp.
                  Here it is everyone that looked for it:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the graph David, however it's useful to have the whole book in hands, what can I do only with graphs
                    Animal Magnetism for Musicians, Erno Zwaan - Information and Pricing at LMI

What exactly are eddy currents?
                    Small swirling currents on the surface of a conductor that's in the vicinity of a magnetic field. In this case it was an aluminum cover. The currents create magnetic fields that oppose the one that created them. This causes eddy current shielding and has the effect of killing off the high frequency response of the pickup.

Yes, I have the schematic that uses MC33178 op amp.
                    Here it is everyone that looked for it:
                    That's the same one I have.

Comment

• Thanks for info on the currents!
                      Well from there is the valley on the LP's, their coils are surrounded by brass foil but the upper highs are still there... umm...maybe they are partially surrounded?

Not expensive book just if they would ship internationally.

Comment

• Schematic for LP 1x1 pre-amp

All,

I found this schematic for the Lane Poor "1x1" preamp, which was the predecessor to the "2x1ac" preamp.

Obviously this schematic doesn't include the "check-it" battery measurement circuitry on the "2x1ac" preamp, or the dual inputs with the adjustable gain pots. But it should serve as a reference and provide some insight.

My brother-in-law is working on developing a new 3-channel bass preamp/buffer based on this schematic, and from what he's been able to learn from his "2x1ac" preamp.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• MMK,
                          try contacting Erno Zwann directly in the Netherlands, he will gladly ship you the book I think. his website is Q-tuners: World's first neodymium guitar and bass pickups.

Originally posted by ModulusMK View Post
                          Thanks for info on the currents!
                          Well from there is the valley on the LP's, their coils are surrounded by brass foil but the upper highs are still there... umm...maybe they are partially surrounded?

Not expensive book just if they would ship internationally.

Comment

• Guys I really think the LP preamps are a red herring here. There is nothing useful about either design that hasn't been implemented in a better or more useful way since.
                            I have a 1x1 in a drawer, the circuit came straight off the AD datasheet on the chip company website. My friend Wayne Mitzen did the 2x1ac design for Lane. It was never anything more than a baseplate for eq modules that never came to fruition. Even Wayne wasn't happy with it as there was no way to inject buffered pickup signal back into the next section post a blend control. That's a major design oversight. If you want a serious bass eq you should look at East-pro or Audereaudio, both designs are miles ahead of what Lane was attempting.

Let's try to find out where these magnets came from, I believe that's going to be the key to his sound's signature.

Comment

Guys I really think the LP preamps are a red herring here. There is nothing useful about either design that hasn't been implemented in a better or more useful way since.
                              I have a 1x1 in a drawer, the circuit came straight off the AD datasheet on the chip company website. My friend Wayne Mitzen did the 2x1ac design for Lane. It was never anything more than a baseplate for eq modules that never came to fruition. Even Wayne wasn't happy with it as there was no way to inject buffered pickup signal back into the next section post a blend control. That's a major design oversight. If you want a serious bass eq you should look at East-pro or Audereaudio, both designs are miles ahead of what Lane was attempting.

Let's try to find out where these magnets came from, I believe that's going to be the key to his sound's signature.
                              Thanks for the info on the book!
                              I think you're right about Lane's preamp. He has awesome pickups but the preamp is nothing special.

Btw belwar, what happened with the pics of the P pickup that was 'opened', will you picture the pup?
                              Wire is 42 AWG for sure? Grade of the magnets? something unusual in the design? How was the foil placed?
                              Last edited by ModulusMK; 09-22-2009, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I'm sure they are probably common ceramic magnets.

Try winding a few coils right on a ceramic magnet with no steel parts. My very first pickup design was like that. It sounded very nice, but was very low output. Of course it didn't have much wire on it either.

Comment

Working...
                                X