No announcement yet.

Any valuable info on Lane Poor MM pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be very surprised if any of the MM pickups were sitting on the shelf. If I really needed an MM pickup I'd just load a W or an HB armature into an MM shaped pickup cover and be done with it. Of course most of the folks looking for this are probably too insecure as musicians not to have the LP logo on their pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
      I'd be very surprised if any of the MM pickups were sitting on the shelf. If I really needed an MM pickup I'd just load a W or an HB armature into an MM shaped pickup cover and be done with it. Of course most of the folks looking for this are probably too insecure as musicians not to have the LP logo on their pickup.
      Of course is not a problem to load two armatures to make an MM, but if you DO know which ones are, then is not a problem. If the original structure of the MM is inside, logo is not problem at all. What is there inside, which armatures?
      Can we combine one?

I know there are more combinations, I'm after the one Flea gets the sound, very 'growly' and clear. What is the combination of that? I know it's not simple question but maybe we can figure out that from the sound of the pup?
      I dont know... never have owned an LP so I can talk about it much.

Comment

I have the Maxwell winder, two of them in fact, the 1200-1 and 1200-2. They have a four range knob on it for four different speed ranges. If its taking half an hour to wind he is using the lowest range which is pretty slow, I only use that speed for some 43 PE that shorts out with much tension. These are the analog winders, no LCD readouts. The Traverse pretty much hasn't changed over time except for digitial readouts on it too, though I'm not real familiar with the current model. It would be nice to have that traverse, its pretty flexible in programming but has no memory modules unless they've changed it. Its not really current level high tech.

My main winder has a 1/2" shaft on it for heavier gauge winding and I have another with a 6mm shaft if I remember right. These both come with foot pedal controllers, but I made a small box controller and mounted it next to the winder so I can control it by hand, which is way more useful and precise. Seymour Duncan does all his hand winding on one of these. They are built like tanks, unfortunately dealing with Adams Maxwell, their tech support people and customer service barely speak english very well and when I had a tailstock made for mine they double billed my credit card and it doesn't line up real well with the winder. Those products have a long history and built real well though. If you ever see one for cheap grab it while you can....
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by ModulusMK View Post
          I know there are more combinations, I'm after the one Flea gets the sound, very 'growly' and clear.
          Flea has used a lot of different basses on recordings, and they all get his tone. The early albums were a MM Cutlass bass. Most of BSSM was even done on a Wal MkII (and a Stingray 5). On One Hot Minute, most of the songs were played on an Alembic Epic. Mother's Milk he recorded with a Spector. Californication, and By The Way was the Modulus. The latest album is the Jazz.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I have 2LP(1 MM5 and a JB5)thinking on put it on Ebay
            but no idea of price.They are custom and came with my logo.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              Flea has used a lot of different basses on recordings, and they all get his tone. The early albums were a MM Cutlass bass. Most of BSSM was even done on a Wal MkII (and a Stingray 5). On One Hot Minute, most of the songs were played on an Alembic Epic. Mother's Milk he recorded with a Spector. Californication, and By The Way was the Modulus. The latest album is the Jazz.
              Yeah, I know which albums are recorded with which bass and pup, in this case I'm talking about Modulus with LP. Californication and By The Way were recorded with it.

I like the sound it produces live. Especially on their first DVD - Off The Map, this is what I'm looking for.

And of that much available structures from Lane for the MM, I don't know which one Flea uses, I guess probably classic HB or HBSC? Doubt for the other ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Achiles View Post
                I have 2LP(1 MM5 and a JB5)thinking on put it on Ebay
                but no idea of price.They are custom and came with my logo.
                PM'd

Comment

Hey Achiles, what happened? Is the length of your LP MM5 like the MM4 (89mm, without mounting poles)? If so, I would really like to buy it.

Comment

Just for fun... I had never really heard a LP pickup. Someone over at TalkBass posted some audio clips of some of my pickups in a fretless he made from Warmoth parts, and then posted clips of a similar bass with Lane Poor pickups, and also Barts, Villex and Baslines.

SGD Lutherie Pickups - Page 14 - TalkBass Forums

If it doesn't take you right there, it's post # 269 and 270.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

• Cool! I love (relatively) objective tests! I'll check it out later today. Thanks.

Comment

• Nice post there, yeah. SD and SGD are pretty similar, maybe SGD is a little more open... nice sounding pups. The LP's are the most.
                        Villex aren't something special according to the recordings and the talks over the net... in my opinion.

Barts on those clips sound very dull but the one I have in my bass the MMX is really bright, almost like LP just it has more pronounced upper high range and is a little muddier in the lower high range than the LP.

BTW, is there any news with the x-rays of the LP's?

Comment

• Yeah, I was surprised that the Duncans sounded very similar to to mine, especially since the Duncans are active. But my pickups were wired in parallel there, so there are a little light on the lower mids.

Comment

• Duncans active? I didn't knew that they make active pups.

Comment

• Originally posted by ModulusMK View Post
                              Duncans active? I didn't knew that they make active pups.
                              Those were the Active Phase II soapbars with split coils. They make a lot of active pickups. The original ones from about 1986 that had the DIP switches on them were really good. Now they make those without the DIP switches and call them Pro-Actives.

But they make a bunch now:

Cutting Edge - 4/5 string Blackouts for Bass ASB-BO-4/5 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Cutting Edge - 5/6 string Active Phase I "Soapbar" ASB-5 & ASB-6 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Cutting Edge - 5/6 string Active Phase II "Soapbar" ASB2-5 & ASB2-6 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Cutting Edge - Active for 5 string Jazz Bass® AJB-5 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Cutting Edge - Lightnin' Rods for Jazz Bass® AJJ-2 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Cutting Edge - Pro-Active for P-Bass® APB-1 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Cutting Edge - Pro-Active™ for Jazz Bass® AJJ-1 - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Comment

• David ,
                                I think those Duncans are similar to yours on the inside, I won't swear to it but I'm pretty sure.

So I got a call from this Henry Pattenaud fellow on Friday (a message), he wants to talk...
                                He may be going down through Lane's rolodex or he may be hip to our conversation here. It just seemed like an odd coincidence. Anyone else hear from him?

Comment

Working...
                                X