Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David King View Post
    David ,
    I think those Duncans are similar to yours on the inside, I won't swear to it but I'm pretty sure.
    Nope, they are split coil pickups, with ceramic magnets. And active. We both use blades, that's about it.

So I got a call from this Henry Pattenaud fellow on Friday (a message), he wants to talk...
    He may be going down through Lane's rolodex or he may be hip to our conversation here. It just seemed like an odd coincidence. Anyone else hear from him?
    Never heard of him.

Hey.. I just realized that it was the same tubby.twins here that posted the pickup clips at TB. I thought that name looked familiar...
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

• Duncans have interesting choices but I'm not much in track with them.

WarriorJoe from TB might have enough info on LP's but it seems to me like he don't want to share it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ModulusMK View Post
        WarriorJoe from TB might have enough info on LP's but it seems to me like he don't want to share it.
        Yeah, he told me some stuff... probably the stuff I posted here. I had been talking to a couple of people. I forget now! He was also the person who loaned me the Wal pickup which I'm cloning. He also loaned me a bunch of pickups... everything from Alembics to Q-Tuners to check out.

I've accumulated enough details that I'm quite certain, especially after hearing tubby.twins sound clips at TB, that I could make a pickup that sounds like a LP.

I'm actually working on one that will have a similar high end with a fuller bottom.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I've accumulated enough details that I'm quite certain, especially after hearing tubby.twins sound clips at TB, that I could make a pickup that sounds like a LP.
          It's nice you have some idea on how to build that (similar) pup.
          Will you share some important clues on this that you think are implemented in LP? You can pm me if you want or post it normal as you wish, I want only to build a pup for my usage only since I can't find to buy any LP MM.

Comment

BTW, is there any news with the x-rays of the LP's?
            My Doc told me to E-mail him on monday, he got called into a hospital in Burbank to help a patient was weekend and could go to his lab where the Xray is.

Im actually hoping he cant do it till next week as I just bought an MM5 and want to have it x-rayed too.

bel

Comment

• FIY.
              Henry Patenaude (sp) is the former apprentice that has just bought the Olde Lane Poor pickups manufacturing facility with all the equipment and remaining stock intact on the inside. I'll see what he has to say, I'm imagining that he's just letting me know that he plans to restart operation and wants to sell me some pickups.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                Nope, they are split coil pickups, with ceramic magnets. And active. We both use blades, that's about it.

Hey.. I just realized that it was the same tubby.twins here that posted the pickup clips at TB. I thought that name looked familiar...
                Yep, that's me. The one and only.

For what it's worth, I can definitely tell the difference between your pickups and the Seymour Duncans. And the SGDs do sound VERY full in the low-mids when played through my rig - a lot more so than the sound clips would seem to indicate. I'll try them in series when I get a chance.

I used to have a bass (an old Kramer aluminum-neck beast) that had 3 of the older Seymour Duncan active pickups with the DIP switches on the front of the shell. It had been upgraded at some point to a J-P-J configuration. They sounded really aggressive but I never figure out which models they were, or how the DIP switches worked. They did seem to affect the upper mids in different settings. I ended up giving the bass to a fellow bassist who was watching it on eBay before I won the auction, and at last report he's still playing it and loving it. The bass had quite a history before I bought it, which is the subject of another story altogether.

Comment

David ,
                  I think those Duncans are similar to yours on the inside, I won't swear to it but I'm pretty sure.

So I got a call from this Henry Pattenaud fellow on Friday (a message), he wants to talk...
                  He may be going down through Lane's rolodex or he may be hip to our conversation here. It just seemed like an odd coincidence. Anyone else hear from him?
                  My guess is the former. I would assume that he's trying to make sure that there weren't any orders that never got fulfilled, etc. I think he's going to do his best to resolve any outstanding business first.

Comment

• Originally posted by belwar View Post
                    My Doc told me to E-mail him on monday, he got called into a hospital in Burbank to help a patient was weekend and could go to his lab where the Xray is.
                    Ok, we'll wait for them till they are done.

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                    Im actually hoping he cant do it till next week as I just bought an MM5 and want to have it x-rayed too.
                    Cool if you would do an x-ray to MM5, exactly what I need!
                    Is it the same length like MM4?
                    Are you going to sell it after x-rays?
                    I see from time to time somebody buys LP's from somewhere.. I can't find any. Someone can find MM4 for sale?
                    Damn, it's like looking for something that do not exists...
                    Last edited by ModulusMK; 09-14-2009, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tubby.twins View Post
                      Yep, that's me. The one and only.
                      Hey, cool! Nice to have your here.

It's also ironic that you were the guy holding onto the lanepoor domain. I remember reading your wiki years ago when I was trying to find out about his pickups.

For what it's worth, I can definitely tell the difference between your pickups and the Seymour Duncans. And the SGDs do sound VERY full in the low-mids when played through my rig - a lot more so than the sound clips would seem to indicate. I'll try them in series when I get a chance.
                      That's the first time I have heard those pickups. I had a set of the early P/J Pro-Actives with the DIP switches. Actually it was my girlfriend's bass I made for her. I used to use it for recording all the time. I think that tone has stuck in my head. That and my old Hi-A pickup. I guess I did a pretty good job capturing that tone in my head then.

But I was surprised how similar they were. Before I got to those clips, I thought the Villex were similar, but they have a funny notch in the upper mids that I'm not crazy about. Maybe that was the built in LC filter?

The Poors are über bright! They remind me of Q-Tuners, which makes sense (side-winders, low inductance pickups).

I used to have a bass (an old Kramer aluminum-neck beast) that had 3 of the older Seymour Duncan active pickups with the DIP switches on the front of the shell. It had been upgraded at some point to a J-P-J configuration. They sounded really aggressive but I never figure out which models they were, or how the DIP switches worked. They did seem to affect the upper mids in different settings. I ended up giving the bass to a fellow bassist who was watching it on eBay before I won the auction, and at last report he's still playing it and loving it. The bass had quite a history before I bought it, which is the subject of another story altogether.
                      I had a chart that came with the pickups. One switch boosted the bass, and the others affected the treble frequencies. The new Pro-Actives are hard wired to what they said was the most popular setting. I have no idea how they would know that!

I had an aluminum neck The Duke. Lousy sounding bass, especially with the stock Schaller Bassbucker. I modified the pickup with blades and removed some of the windings. I liked the neck a lot.

Comment

• The thing that always impressed me with the LP brightness was that it was way up there so it didn't ever grate on the ears or sound clanky/clacky even with new strings. It was very easy to tone it down just using a passive roll-off but without the pickups ever sounding honky. The low end on the W and HB models was really deep and smooth (I never bothered with the narrow models because I figured that they wouldn't have the low end I would like.) The hbs had a bit more midrange added back in and were definitely better for rock.

Comment

• What is the difference between the DW and the HB/HBSC? On the LP brochure the HB's are denoted as single pickups, whereas DW are as dual coils (and more expensive).
                          What is the deal with this?

Comment

What is the difference between the DW and the HB/HBSC? On the LP brochure the HB's are denoted as single pickups, whereas DW are as dual coils (and more expensive).
                            What is the deal with this?
                            No one yet knows, the x-rays will tell us something I think...

From what I have read the HB's are split coils, like a P-bass pickup (Two small coils). My belief is that the DW is two full coils + three rows of poles.

Comment

The thing that always impressed me with the LP brightness was that it was way up there so it didn't ever grate on the ears or sound clanky/clacky even with new strings. It was very easy to tone it down just using a passive roll-off but without the pickups ever sounding honky. The low end on the W and HB models was really deep and smooth (I never bothered with the narrow models because I figured that they wouldn't have the low end I would like.) The hbs had a bit more midrange added back in and were definitely better for rock.
                              Yeah, that high resonant peak gives nice smooth tone. You can hear the peak is much lower on mine, which was intentional based on some pickups I made for someone. They liked the lower peak better, because it sounded brighter. Kind of what Mike was saying in the buffer thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by belwar View Post
                                No one yet knows, the x-rays will tell us something I think...

From what I have read the HB's are split coils, like a P-bass pickup (Two small coils). My belief is that the DW is two full coils + three rows of poles.
                                Belwar, that's about what I was thinking but no way of knowing for sure how the hb armatures were configured until we can see inside.

As a Political Aside, I'll bet we wouldn't have had to wait this long in Canada for these Xrays.

Comment

Working...
                                X