PE vs. SPN... do I care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
    And of course, using the word "radiuses" sends a chill up my spine.... is radii that hard of a word to learn?
    "Radiuses" is actually correct, as is radii. When you get into talking about building guitars, you end up using it as a verb! That gets iffy, just like "relicing" an instrument.

But, yeah, some dumbo copy writer at Gibson doesn't know his radius from his elbow.

What I wasn't following was the "dude" exchange, I wasn't quite sure what you were referring to. I guess this infamous product description?
    I didn't get that either... Whacho talkin' 'bout Dave?

He probably didn't want me opening that can of worms... People have strong opinions on this topic.

They're using insulated magnet wire?
    Yeah, damn good thing too!

I think that goes right up on the list with the plek for stupid things to say about guitar manufacturing.
    No, the PLEK looks cool... if you have the money. I sure don't. I'm very good at fretwork, but I like machines! Same goes for CNC. Nothing wrong with precision and repeatability. Yeah, I'm a Normite.

Thanks for the info, I think I had PE and SPN mixed up in my head in terms of availability and price.
    Now some people will say that PE has a different tone from SPN. I haven't tried it, so I can't comment. Oh, Dave?

It seems like a good rule of thumb is the thickness is what matters and not the material? Having done relatively little experimenting, I wasn't sure if the actual synthetic might make an impact winding around corners, etc. That certainly makes sense, I have to admit I heard less of a difference between even PE and HF than I was led to believe there was.
    I find the heavy builds to be a bit brighter.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      But, yeah, some dumbo copy writer at Gibson doesn't know his radius from his elbow.
      I think you hit it on the head...you have the writers who don't know about all the aspects about their product.....unless Gibson is using Freelancers to write their copy and technical information.

This sort of incorrect info should be caught and corrected in the proofing process unless they have Freelancers for that too who also don't know.

With the way the economy is, they're probably using outside contractors to do that kind of stuff since its cheaper than maintaining a full-time employee.
      www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Still, I find it hard to believe that no one within the company who would supposedly know these things hasn't bothered to look at the site, even if it is just at home for their own curiosity. I'm sure every employee has looked at the website, and each one would probably know who to tell if they found a mistake... not to mention management who should be proofreading it, even if they are paying someone else to do it anyway - it is their product, they should take at least some responsibility!

Comment

My opinion of some of Gibson's currents products is they were conceived by the same level of intellect as the person who wrote that copy!

It's nice to see them try some new stuff, but they can do much better than that.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

It seems like most manufacturers really are just playing Mr. Potato Head with guitar parts anyway, especially Fender. They are just working with basic permutations of stuff that is already out there. I can't say I blame them - truly unique stuff just doesn't fly until it receives some sort of endorsement. Gibson though has a serious case of "emperor's new clothes" going on for them. They treat their dealers horribly too, if it wasn't for online stuff their sales would be hurting a lot by now.

Anyway, will try SPN soon. I may never bother with the heavy formvar again except to use up the bit that I have now, if the heavy poly nylon is just as good. Now just to figure out where to order... I know that's covered in prior threads and the FAQ, so I won't bug you guys with that.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
              It seems like most manufacturers really are just playing Mr. Potato Head with guitar parts anyway, especially Fender. They are just working with basic permutations of stuff that is already out there. I can't say I blame them - truly unique stuff just doesn't fly until it receives some sort of endorsement. Gibson though has a serious case of "emperor's new clothes" going on for them. They treat their dealers horribly too, if it wasn't for online stuff their sales would be hurting a lot by now.

Anyway, will try SPN soon. I may never bother with the heavy formvar again except to use up the bit that I have now, if the heavy poly nylon is just as good. Now just to figure out where to order... I know that's covered in prior threads and the FAQ, so I won't bug you guys with that.
              If you do order some, please report back. I've been thinking of trying SPN wire as well.

Comment

You guys need to be in the advertising business a few years and you'd understand better....a professional copywriter wrote that crap, maybe even a guitar player and was given a few facts or not and got it wrong, its typical and expected for a technical product and a dumb writer :-)
                MAN, I'll tell you one thing, that guitar is going to be collectible, probably costs a ton of money but that would be one to buy and stash for 20 years. Also read the text on the pickup and look carefully at that pickup, there is some very intelligent design in that thing and its there totally open to see if you look hard. No, its not a PAF but its a very cool design...
                http://www.SDpickups.com
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                X