• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruce,
    this may explain what's going on..
    Austenite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
      Hardening the setscrew changes the tone of the pickup??? How is that possible? It's the same piece of metal, with the same dimensions and same chemical composition. Are you saying that annealing it will change its magnetic properties?
      It is possible for sure. Hardened steel makes a better permanent magnet than the same steel alloy when annealed.

If you're seeing a difference, it's got to be because you're comparing a hardened screw of one alloy with an unhardened screw of a different alloy.
      Well, we can directly test this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
        Another dumb question:

What's the reason that you need the straight unthreaded section on the screws? Is it just for looks, or is it something else?

How about taking a standard 10-32 Allen head setscrew, turning down the upper portion a bit, and then pressing on a piece of steel tubing?
        There is no reason, except he wants to get a close as possible I guess. I just went with 10-32 Allen head set screws for my version.

The custom poles do look cool though.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I wish I had a Wal with these pickups in it to play around on. My favorite Wal sounds came from XTC's Collin Moulding's fretless on albums like English Settlement. (I wish those guys would get over their shit and get it together again.)

Comment

Well there is a good chance i'll be drving north at the end of october. I was going to bring the MKI to Canada with me so I could send it back to its owner. I usually stay in roseberg, but if you want to fiddle around with it, and put me up for a night, i'll bring it by. Plus id love to see your shop.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
              Well there is a good chance i'll be drving north at the end of october. I was going to bring the MKI to Canada with me so I could send it back to its owner. I usually stay in roseberg, but if you want to fiddle around with it, and put me up for a night, i'll bring it by. Plus id love to see your shop.

Matt that sounds like a plan and a good excuse to clean up too.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                I wish I had a Wal with these pickups in it to play around on. My favorite Wal sounds came from XTC's Collin Moulding's fretless on albums like English Settlement. (I wish those guys would get over their shit and get it together again.)
                That wasn't the Wal. That was an Ibanez P looking bass. The Wal was fretted.

Talking about Ball and Chain:

TB: What bass did you play on this?

CM: I was playing the Fender at the time, I think.

TB: Your P-bass?

CM: Actually, thinking about it, no -- on this record, I had a choice of guitars. Not quite sure what I used on this particular track, but I also had an Ibanez fretless bass, which I used on a lot of the songs on this record. I remember using it on "Senses." Come to think of it, I probably used it on this as well. There are some tracks on the album where I used my Precision. Can't quite remember -- I'd have to get the headphones on and study it -- but I think it was the Ibanez on this song.
                He used the Wal starting in 1984 on The Big Express to Nonsuch ('92), and then started using a Vox Apollo.

This is pretty funny:

Chalkhills: "Colin Moulding: The Agony And The XTC", Bass Player, 1992

Considering that he's a member of such a well-produced, high-tech-sounding group, Moulding is refreshingly oblivious to the equipment he uses. Since 1984, he has played an English-made Wal bass. "I bought it in Bath while we were recording, and I know very little about it," he notes. "It just feels nice — that's all I can say. It's got two pickups; I don't know what kind. I usually use medium-gauge Rotosound strings and change them quite frequently when recording, probably after three takes." Colin plugs straight into the board, using the chorus effect built into the console. Other than that, he finds he has little need for equipment. "When I play in the shed with my son, I use an Ohm 140 combo amp -- and that's it."
                And I agree! They are one of my all time favorite bands. I was just thinking last night how it would good to get some new music from them. Colin seems to have given up music, but Andy and Dave are talking again. I got to see them once with Barry on the Go2 tour, opening for the Talking Heads.

I think a good example of a Wal bass is the Pretenders Back On The Chain Gang, and My City Was Gone with Tony Butler on bass. Also Flea used one on Blood Sugar Sex Magic. And of course Bow Wow Wow.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Wal is back in business! Wal Basses and Electric Wood Limited Home Page

Comment

Originally posted by Evilbiker View Post
                    I think most of us knew that! Or that it was coming. The new web site looks good.

Comment

Working...
                    X