Wal MK1 Pickup Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wal MK1 Pickup Construction

I've been posting these construction pictures in the 10-32 screw thread and I figured I would make a seperate thread for them so if there is any discussion on the pickup at least it will be on topic!

Here's the latest picture of the Magnet Keeper Assembly. This is draw exactly to the original, within a fraction of a millimeter.
    Attached Files

Bobbin Baseplate

Here's the next evolution. The baseplate for the bobbins. Note the hideous browny green color denoting the circuit board material used.
    Attached Files

Comment

... and the next step with bobbins attached.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Belwar. I've seen them in the Hiscock book, but those pictures never showed the keepre bars or the magnets. Great info man.

Comment

Nice work Matt!

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
          I've seen them in the Hiscock book, but those pictures never showed the keepre bars or the magnets.
          I just showed the keeper bars and magnets... how did you miss that? I originally posted these pictures over a year ago.

The poles have been screwed up out of their normal position.

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
            Thanks Belwar. I've seen them in the Hiscock book, but those pictures never showed the keepre bars or the magnets. Great info man.
            Can you tell me the book name?

Comment

Unless he has another one, it should be this book.

Amazon.com: Make Your Own Electric Guitar (9780953104901): Melvyn Hiscock, Brian May: Books

I have a copy of it somewhere. Think my buddy has it.
              Last edited by David Schwab; 05-30-2012, 01:20 AM.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                Unless he has another one, it should be this book.

Amazon.com: Make Your Own Electric Guitar (9780953104901): Melvyn Hiscock, Brian May: Books

I have a copy of it somewhere. Think my buddy has it.
                I think I have that book in a pile some where. I'll see if I can find whatever info there is in the book and post it here.

Any word from your friend david s on the purchase?

Comment

Just for historical reference (my specialty is the old Ampeg Scroll Basses), the pickups in Ampeg's AMB-1 and AMUB-1 Scroll Basses of 1967-1968 used similar individual coils. It was just a single row, and they were wired alternately to make it a humbucker overall. It used fixed 1/4" dia Alnicos through the coils, which were pressed into a steel bar base. It was a pretty advanced design for the time.

Comment

Jupp, it's the book David linked to. There isn't that much info on those pickups. But if you want a good book about guitarbuilding, filled with dry english humour, then by all means get it.

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                    I just showed the keeper bars and magnets... how did you miss that? I originally posted these pictures over a year ago.
                    He, he, I actually do spend time off the intenet y'know

Comment

Oooo! Money shot!

I thought that was how they did the cover on the MKIII but now I know for sure!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a shot with the pole screws added
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                          Oooo! Money shot!

I thought that was how they did the cover on the MKIII but now I know for sure!
                          He must have studied Kent Armstrong along with jonson.
                          I do like the looks of the plug better than the finished product but that's just me.

Comment

Did anyone notice in the picture of the MKIII pickup that there are THREE seperate bobbins? 2 black, 2 grey, 1 white?

Hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                              He must have studied Kent Armstrong along with jonson.
                              I said the same thing. Looks like the pickups Armstrong makes for Ken Smith.

Comment

Working...
                              X