No announcement yet.

Fender Electric XII pu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the drawing I think it's just a way of tidying things up, graphically. I wouldn't think they'd intentionally keep one split-coil hum-bucking and not apply the same to the other.
    Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
    Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
      From the drawing I think it's just a way of tidying things up, graphically. I wouldn't think they'd intentionally keep one split-coil hum-bucking and not apply the same to the other.
      I think you're right here. The real giveaway is the color code of the wires.

As far as I know, there was only one Fender part number for the 12 string pickups.

Comment

Still going on the research on this one and came across this:
        VINTAGE 1966 FENDER ELECTRIC XII 12 STRING GUITAR on eBay (end time 28-Jan-10 19:45:56 GMT)
        Sorry if its a silly question but why do the pups have such a huge differance in the resistance reading if they are exactly the same ...
        Thanks ..Shep

Comment

Could it be that one of the coils in the bridge is dead? Two times 5.4 is almost 11K......
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

electric XII pickups

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
            I would imagine that one of the two coils in one pickup pair is RWRP so that one "complete pickup" is humbucking.

I have no more info on those pickup, but I think that the 12500 turns sound a bit too much. I'm suspecting that the one making that statement added the turn count of both coils, meaning that each coil shoul have 6250 turns of wire. That will also sound a bit more Fender-ish than 12000+ turns on each coil.

I have been playing my Electric XII for many years, and, unfortunately, there is no "humbucking" position for the pickups. all the magnets are of the same polarity in all four coils.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoddyman View Post
              I have been playing my Electric XII for many years, and, unfortunately, there is no "humbucking" position for the pickups. all the magnets are of the same polarity in all four coils.

You don't have to have the magnets opposite. You can still reverse wind, or reverse wire one coil on each pickup and it will hum cancel. I'm surprised fender didn't do that! What was the point of the split pickups then?
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I agree ..............why mess around with split coils of not humcanceling
                Just dont make sense ???
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by Hoddyman View Post
                  Is your XII electrically original, meaning that no one has tampered with the wiring? If a previous owner has done a bad rewiring job he/she might have reversed the reversed polarity and made it "un-humbucking"...

Comment

I too would like to know Leo's theory with the longs poles. It is interesting to look at Leo era pickups as most all of them had atleast some of the magnets sticking out from the back. Jazzmaster and Jaguar pickups intentionally had a ton of magnet sticking out from the back.

Comment

i make those but I dont list them on my site and i have seen many originals and can garauntee you both coils are the same magnetic polarity but one is hooked up so it is effectivley reverse wound. They are humcancelling just like any pickup made that way but are out of phase with each other however since only one coil is sensing the strings at a time it doesnt matter- otherwise if you bend a string far enough over the neck pickup yada yada- been there many times here.
                      The magnets are long so you get more magnetic strength not so the bobbins have a wider space to wind on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine View Post
                        I too would like to know Leo's theory with the longs poles. It is interesting to look at Leo era pickups as most all of them had atleast some of the magnets sticking out from the back. Jazzmaster and Jaguar pickups intentionally had a ton of magnet sticking out from the back.
                        The pickups in my '59 Jazzmaster are the same in the front and back. Thet just stick out a little.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Odd, I have had at least 20 1959's apart over the years and the backs are always protruding a significant amount more on the back and have a very heavy bevel. As you get into the high production era of the early 60's, that varies a bit and the bevel fades. By the early grays of 1964, they are almost equal on both sides.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I haven't seen my pickups in years.... they are dead and in storage at a friends house along with the rest of the guitar, but I'm pretty sure they have gray flatwork and the magnets were about equal on both sides, like that 60s example. This was one of the Jazzmasters with the gold anodized pickguard, spaghetti logo and the date was written in pencil on the end of the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepBush View Post
                              .. as this pu is from 1965 would it be A2
                              Alnico 2 and 3 poles tend to self-demagnetize if they are too short, so this pickup's longer pole suggest use of A2.
                              "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Hi first of all thanks for all the knowledge shared in this site . I am new here and I would like to build a set of electric xii pickups . can anyone post a correct size printable version of the flat work ? Thank you so much

Comment

Working...
                                X